Staff Picks of the week for NCBD February 7th, 2018

stephengervais's picture
Welcome to a new column we’re trying out this week.  Our writers read a big pile of comics every week so we thought it would be fun if they each picked their favorite issue of the week. Keep in mind we don’t read everything, this is our personal favorite from what we did read.  We are currently looking for a catchy title for the column, if you have any ideas please let us know. Tell us your favorite issue of the week below in the comments, on our Facebook page, or on our Twitter feed. Without further ado here are our favorite comics for the week of February 7th, 2018.

Charles
My pick of the week is X-Men: Red #1 by an easy mile. It's exactly the "back to basics" world-saving comic that Marvel has been promising X-Fans for a year now. All that and Honey Badger, too!

Peyi
My Pick of the Week is Mother Panic/Batman #1. Having read the first issue of the Milk Wars crossover and really enjoying it, I was looking forward to how this crossover would progress. Regarding Young Animal books I am only reading Shade the Changing Girl, but I found the first issue of Milk Wars to be accessible to people who were not necessarily reading Doom Patrol.

The crossover is aptly named Milk Wars and the villain Retcon is using milk to change people. This is a really weird and interesting idea, especially in this issue where Batman's history is retconned to erase his tragic past. This issue, like Doom Patrol, does make it easy for new readers to get into and I have to say that I am now considering picking up the previous Mother Panic issues. This was a great issue overall. 

Nathan
Jem and the Holograms: Dimensions #3 is easily my favorite comic book from this week. This series highlights fresh writers and artists every week portraying the amazing characters of the Jem universe and it's always impressive. This third issue features two fantastic stories by some some great writers and artists I would have never known about if it wasn't for this series. This issue is 100% worth the read.

Hussein
Out of the small number of books I reviewed this week, SUPERMAN #40 stuck with me the most, and it wasn't because it was a fantastic issue worth all the praise in the world.

James Robinson gives us a simple and light story that feels oddly familiar. I feel like we haven't gotten much of Superman and Jon moments as of late in this series and Robinson delivers on that front, basing this entire story on the two of them bonding in addition to Jon wanting to learn more about his cosmic heritage, which I think was a great little touch that accentuated their relationship.

Doug Mahnke's art is very strong, and it weights heavy on my heart as his future with the Superman title may be short-lived due to this Bendis news. Still, he had a solid run and I'm sure DC will find a good book for him.

Stephen
My favorite book of the week was also the book I most anticipated this week, Swamp Thing Winter Special #1. It’s always nice when a book lives up to the hype you’ve created in your mind! The story was great and the artwork was stunning. I hope it sells out everywhere and DC decides to give us an ongoing monthly Swamp Thing series!

Comments