Weekly Spinner Picks 12/18/2013

stephengervais's picture

Welcome back to another exciting column of Weekly Spinner Picks. Here I write about the comics I’m most looking forward to this week. There are lots of great releases this week so please after you read my most anticipated books tell us yours in the comment section below.

Daredevil #34: Only 3 issues left of this pretty much perfect Daredevil run written by Mark Waid and I will cherish each and everyone one of them! This is has been, by far, the most consistently well written and drawn comic in the Marvel line-up. Although the regular artist, Chris Samnee, will only be doing the cover of this issue I have the outmost faith in penciller Javier Rodriguez, who will be handling the art this issue. This is really not anywhere near a good jumping on point with the series coming to an end but I do encourage you to seek out past issues and/or trades of this magical ride. This issue continues the Sons of Serpent arc, a clan who appears to own the city’s judicial system. It would seem only Daredevil stands in their way as the self-appointed prosecutor to take them down. Can’t wait to see how this all wraps up.

Locke and Key Alpha #2: After several delays we are getting the concluding issue to Locke and Key. This entire series has been one hell of ride and I for one am super excited to read this ending. I just know it’s going well worth the wait. If you’ve never read this series pick up the first trade I guarantee you’ll be hooked. This issue is of course written by Joe Hill and drawn by Gabriel Rodriguez.

Saga #17: There’s really nothing more that can be said of writer Brian K. Vaughan and penciller Fiona Staples’ epic adventure known as Saga! It’s basically why I read and love comics. To me it’s a perfect series and the week it comes out it’s always my first read. If you really have not given this a try just pick up the first trade for $9.99 retail, read it, and thank me!

Great Pacific Volume 2 Nation Building: I’ve been trade waiting this series which I was beginning to think was a mistake. It seemed to take a while for volume 2 to get released. I think once I read this volume, I’ll continue the series in monthly format. I’ll have to go re-read volume one but I believe it left off just as our protagonist had declared his floating island of waste a sovereign state and was surrounded by military ships. It’s written by Joe Harris and drawn beautifully by Martin Morazzo. Easy one to catch up on and a great read if you’re looking for something new this week.

X-O Manowar #20: This issue is a direct tie-in with the current Unity event. Just when X-O finally seems to have it all, land for his people to call home, threats from the most dangerous strike force ever assembled, Unity, have joined forces with Toyo Harada to try and take it all away and kill Aric! It’s written by Robert Venditti with art duties handled by Cary Nord. The really cool thing about this tie-in is you can read it to enhance the experience of the event or it can be read as a stand-alone story arc. So instead of filler or, even worse, being forced to buy something you don’t normally to understand what you do buy and read we are given the choice! Thank you Valiant!!

Comments