Weekly Spinner Picks for 12/11/2013

stephengervais's picture

Welcome back to another exciting column of Weekly Spinner Picks. Here I write about the comics I’m most looking forward to this week. There are lots of great releases this week so please after you read my most anticipated books tell us yours in the comment section below.

Unity #2: I must say with each new Valiant issue I read the more I grow to love the company. Each and every month they release exceptional stories with top quality art. I just can’t get enough! I’ve been looking for to the Unity event since it was announced and Unity #1 definitely delivered on its billing as the event to watch for in 2013. The event has some of the world’s most dangerous heroes poised to take on X-O Manowar. X-O made short work of them in issue and 1 and I’m looking forward to seeing how they regroup and rebound in issue 2, if they can! This event is brought to life by writer Matt Kindt and artist Doug Braithwaite.

Dead Body Road #1 (of 6): I've always been a sucker for a good revenge story and this certainly fits the bill. Brought to us by Image Comics this series tells the tale of one man’s quest to kill all the men involved in his wife’s death. The story is written by Justin Jordan and art by Matteo Scalera. It’s being billed as a “the bruising story of one man’s revenge and the dark road he travels”. Sounds like a good yarn and I’m a fan of this creative team so count me in.

Lazarus #5: Another Image title makes my list this week. I was a big fan of the opening story arc by the creative team of writer Rick Remender and artist Michael Lark and after a few months delay we finally get issue #5. This issue has the main character, Forever, questioning the meaning of family particularly her own. The series reminds me of a futuristic Soprano’s type story. This is a great story brought to us by one of my favorite creative teams. I can’t recommend it enough. Image has made it really easy to catch up on it as well by offering the first trade for the low price $9.99 retail.

Shaolin Cowboy #3: Don’t expect much of a story from this Dark Horse title. It’s more of a showcase on zombie kills by one of the best artists in the industry Geof Darrow. There’s really not much to say about this title except if you want to admire, in my opinion the best detail artist in the biz, pick this up.

Comments

Not interested in the new Parker book?  It's your boy Cooke!  I may need to take a trip downtown just to grab it if my shop don't have enough (aka. a single) copy.

stephengervais's picture
Oh I'm interested but I must admit I'm a little behind in my Parker reading. Do you have them all?

I have the martini addition & the next trade after that on digital.  They're great, especially that martini.  How many have you read?

On a side note, I just finished the first chapter of that Fables game last night.  Never read fables, but that game is fantastic.  Check it out if you haven't.. think it's only $5 on ipad, console or steam.

stephengervais's picture
I've only read the first trade actually. They've been on my too-read list for a while. I'll have to check out that Fables game. I like the series. I've read about the first 14 volumes or so of it. Is it available on an Android platform?