Weekly Spinner Picks for 12/04/2013

stephengervais's picture

Hello all my fellow comic folk and welcome to another exciting column of Weekly Spinner Picks. Here I discuss the comics I am most looking forward to this week. Please feel free to agree or disagree with by using the comment section below. Alright here are my top picks:

Hellboy in Hell #5: Being a huge Mike Mignola fan this is my most anticipated comic of not only the week but pretty much the month! Anytime Mignola is writing and drawing my favorite big red para-normal investigator I get pretty excited. He still has his hand in the writing of all the beloved characters of the Mignolaverse but it’s a real treat when he illustrates more than the cover these days. This story is of course brought to us by the great publisher Dark Horse Comics and it appears to be a stand-alone story. So if you’re not all that up to date with what’s being going on but have some knowledge on Hellboy you should be able to pick this up and enjoy it. The story is inspired by a Grimm fairytale about a man who sells his soul for a magic whip. I can’t wait for Wednesday!

Amazing Spider-Man #700.1: It’ll be a year this Boxing Day that we lost Peter Parker and Doc Ock took over his body. While I’ve been enjoying the Superior Spider-Man storyline for the most part I do miss Peter Parker. I’m not against change and it has been entertaining but I’ve been reading Parker’s adventures since my comic book beginnings so yea I miss the guy! For all those like me have no fear, writer David Morrell and legendary artist Klaus Janson are bringing back our favorite web-slinger, Peter Parker!!  Ok he’s not back in regular continuity yet, as this story takes place before the tragic events of issue 700 but I’ll take it. The issue has a storm ready to cripple to NYC and Spider-Man must not only protect the city but also Aunt May. Sounds like a classic Parker story to me. I’m on board.

Magic Words: The Extraordinary Life of Alan Moore: Stepping aside from comic books slightly I’m adding a book to my list this week. I take it we all know who Alan Moore is and what he’s contributed to the world of comics. This book written by Lance Parkin takes us into that world as he seeks out Moore and examines his life. I expect this to be one heck of read and will be saving it for my Christmas holidays.

Amazing X-Men #2: I enjoyed the first issue so I will be picking this one up. It’s written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by Ed McGuiness and Dexter Vines. The first issue was drawn beautifully by McGuiness and I’m not sure why Marvel is switching to a dual artist approach with this issue. I usually don’t like a book with 2 artists working on it as I find the switch back and forth somewhat jarring. That being said I will give it a chance because I really liked the mood of the first issue. This installment has our team separated in search of Nightcrawler. I take it each artist will be handling half the team for the duration of the issue.

Batwing #26: I admit I have not been following Batwing at all but I will be purchasing this issue for the amazing Darwyn Cooke cover. I may even hang this one on the wall I like it that much.

Trillium #5: I am a little behind in reading this series so I’m not quite sure where the story is at. I find I tend to read most of my Vertigo titles in chunks. Once I get this issue I think I’ll sit down and start from the beginning and read it right through. This series is written and drawn by one of my favorite creators, Jeff Lemire.

Comments