Weekly Spinner Picks for 11/27/2013

stephengervais's picture

Hello all my fellow comic folk and welcome to another exciting column of Weekly Spinner Picks. Here I discuss the comics I am most looking forward to this week. Please feel free to agree or disagree with by using the comment section below. Alright here are my top picks:

Black Science #1: I’ve been looking forward to this Image Comics offering for months now and absolutely can’t wait to get my hands on it. It’s being described as a sci-fi epic adventure and if the breathtaking teasers hold true I have no doubt this title will deliver. It’s written by Rick Remender and beautifully drawn by Matteo Scalera. The story follows a head scientist and his team as the battle through inter-dimensional worlds and realms trying to find their way home. From what I’ve seen the art is absolutely gorgeous and we all know Remender can spin one heck of a yarn so make sure you grab this one while you can.

Hawkeye #14: After a month delay Marvel’s Hawkeye gets back on track with issue 14. This installment has writer Matt Fraction and artist David Aja pick up the events immediately following Hawkeye Annual #1. It’ll be great to pick up a new Hawkguy after the short delay and to get a follow-up to what happened to Kate in the first annual.

Polar Came From the Cold HC: This Dark Horse release was originally a webcomic written and drawn by Victor Santos. You may recognize his name as the creator behind Mice Templars.  The official description by Dark Horse really sums it up best, “A guns-blazing espionage action-adventure in the grand tradition of Jim Steranko and Frank Miller”. Sounds like a winner to me!

Comments

Picked up black science on your recommendation but haven't gotten to it yet.. Had no idea that a new saga book was out this week as well.. that was a great surprise and an even better read.  I also realized a little too late that infinity 6 of 6 was $6.  I read that entire series and I’m still not sure what happened. Thane son of thanos.. because Skarr son of hulk was such a popular charcter.

Sad to see avengers arena come to an end.  Ended up being one of my favorite marvel NOW runs.  Darkhawk!

stephengervais's picture
Let me know what you think of Black Science after you read it.

Wow 6 bucks for Infinity #6!! So crazy! I personally am not reading any more big events from the big two in monthly format. If it generally gets good reviews I'll pick up the trade and I am absolutely avoiding all tie-ins with these events now. I just can't take the filler they are stuffed with. So far the exception to this rule is the Valiant events. I have enjoyed their events so far and I found their tie-ins have actually added to the reading experience.

Black Science was really good.  It's hard to do character development when the book is nonstop action, but it worked.  I really wanted to see character background on those eels.. how did that happen?  There must be other ridable things in that universe.  Eels?  Looked cool at least.

Pretty much everything was great.  Halkeye, Saga, avengers arena..even the wolverine and xmen annual was good.  Just infinity was a let down.  Maybe you had to read the fringe stories too. Just sucks that the most expensive book was also the worst.  I may take your advice on the next marvel event.