Weekly Spinner Picks For 10/30/2013

stephengervais's picture

Time to chase away those Monday blues with another exciting episode of Weekly Spinner Picks! Here I pick my most anticipated comics being released this upcoming Wednesday. Tell me what you think and make sure you let us know what you are looking forward to in the comment section. Alright here we go...

Sandman Overture #1:  Oh boy this is finally coming out! I’ve been waiting for this for quite some time. It was originally announced at San Diego Comic Con 2012 as Sandman Zero and then sort of just fizzled away. Then this past summer the NY Times ran an article announcing an October release date and the new title, Sandman Overture. It will be of course written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by J.H. Williams III.  This series will be 6 issues long and will be released on a bi-monthly basis. So you trade waiters will have to wait over a year to enjoy it! It’s being released to coincide with the 25 year anniversary of Gaiman’s original Sandman series. It will act as a prequel to the original story and will cover the birth of Morpheus right up until his capture. It’s a question I’ve always wondered, how exactly did Morpheus get captured? Gaiman has promised to reveal all the secrets and to feature cameos from all our favorite characters. Is it Wednesday yet??

Damian: Son of Batman #1: Damian’s co-creator Andy Kubert will be handling both the writing and art duties on this 4-part mini-series. I’ve seriously been missing Damian since his death this past year and this should fill the void quite nicely. The series is set to examine the events that led this brooding young man on the path to his dark destiny.

Punisher: Trial of Punisher #2 of 2: Writer Marc Guggenheim and artist Mico Suayan wrap up this nice little Punisher 2-parter this week. This should keep all the Frank Castle fans satisfied for a few months until he returns with a new ongoing series in 2014. This issue should answer the questions on exactly why did Punisher kill a district attorney and more importantly why did he turn himself in?

Saga #15: Any week writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Fiona Staples Saga comes out it automatically makes my list. If you haven’t already heard the praises for this book you must not read anything comic related on the Internet. There’s really not much more than can be said about this series except its great, buy it! Seriously if you haven’t checked it out yet pick up the first trade of 5 issues for the great retail price of $9.99. Mark my words you will be hooked.

Comments