Weekly Spinner Picks For 10/23/2013

stephengervais's picture

Pretty Deadly #1:  This title caught my eye way back in the summer when it was initially announced at San Diego Comic Con and then once again when it appeared in Previews a couple of months ago. It’s the first creator owned project from writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Emma Rios. They tell the story of Death’s daughter in a western/horror setting. This one I’ve been heavily anticipating and if the preview pages I’ve seen are any indication I expect it to deliver big time!

Velvet #1:  Another Image Comic’s #1 makes the list this week. This title is brought to us by writer Ed Brubaker and artist Steve Epting. This is the very same team that brought us my favorite Captain America story, Winter Soldier. This series tells the story of Velvet Templeton the Personal Assistant to the Director of a spy agency. When their top agent is killed she is forced off her desk and back into the field for the first time in 20 years. It promises to be a tale filled with mystery, murder, and action. All that and it’s an extra-length issue for normal cover price. Take that Batman #24!!

Marvel Now What #1: It’s always great to see a big superstar poke a little fun at themselves. It makes them more human. It looks like that’s exactly what Marvel is doing with this issue. From the preview pages it looks like Marvel is doing a parody of themselves in an anthology type format. It’s written and drawn by various creators and features a great Skottie Young cover. For that alone this makes my pull list. Hopefully the content delivers a few chuckles!

Hellboy Midnight Circus HC: Being a huge Hellboy fan I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced in August. It’s written by the master himself, Mike Mignola and it’s the return to the Mignolaverse of artist Duncan Fregredo. This original graphic novel tells the tale of a young Hellboy running away from the military base he’s been raised on only to stumble upon a circus from Hell! I somehow get the feeling that after reading Mignola’s version of circus I’ll never be able to look at them the same again. I can’t wait to see the horror’s this team has in store for us plus it’s always great to get a young Hellboy story. Young Hellboy and his Pancakes is one of my favorite stories.

Harbinger #17: Hey what can I say, I just can’t get enough Valiant! I’ve recently caught up with all my Valiant reading and now look forward to their weekly releases.  This issue brought to us by writer Joshua Dysart and artist Clayton Henry examines the fallout from the summer event Harbinger Wars. We’ll find out just what was sacrificed by Peter and the Renegades during their battle with Toyo Harada.  For a preview of the issue you can check out our News sub-forum.

Comments