Weekly Spinner Picks for 10/22/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Well I have a pretty darn big pull list this week! It’s a really good thing last week was a small one! Although I did buy two trades last week so that nullifies my savings! Oh well on with the show, here are my top picks of the week.

13 Coins: This is easily my most anticipated release of the week! It’s published by Titan Comics, a UK publishing house. The story follows an ex-con caught in the middle of an apocalyptic war he never asked for. It turns out he’s an angelic descendant and holds the key to the future of earth and heaven.  Simon Bisley is the huge draw for me on this title (pun intended!). In my eyes he is an industry legend and one of my all time favorite artists. I’m really looking forward to this issue.  

Father’s Day #1: This Dark Horse title is written by the publishers head honcho Mike Richardson and drawn by Gabriel Guzman. It follows the life of a retired mob enforcer who is suddenly confronted by his abandoned daughter who unwittingly led a group of hit men to his whereabouts. The preview pages look very nice and I’m always game for a comic with mafia connections!

Colder The Bad Seed #1: The second Dark Horse title on my list this week and I guarantee it’ll be fantastic! This is the sequel to last year’s Colder which featured the same creative team of writer Paul Tobin and artist Juan Ferreyra. The original Colder was absolutely amazing and I really do recommend you check it out. I just know this series will be just as good.

TMNT Ghostbusters #1: It’s pretty much mandatory that I have to check this one out. It’s brought to us by nostalgic property license giant IDW and features two of my favorite franchises growing up. I haven’t even checked out the previews but I have to see what happens when these two childhood favorites come together. The only thing that would have made this even better is if somehow Marty McFly got incorporated into the story!

Starlight #6: The epic conclusion to Mark Millar and Goran Parlov’s space adventure. I’ve only read the first issue and really did enjoy it. I always wait for Millar’s minis to end before reading them because I find his scheduling to be frustrating. There always seems to be many delays involved. That being said I usually love them and I can’t wait to read this in its entirety.

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
It’s been too long since my weekly pull list included so many picks from the big two. Here are the books I'm most looking forward to for the week:

ALL NEW GHOST RIDER #8 Issue 7 ended with the original Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze, looking all cool and fiery. I’m hoping it’ll be a car vs bike, age vs experience battle. I’m stoked, I’m thinking the truth about Robbie's inner “guest” will be revealed very soon. I’ve always been a huge Ghost Rider fan and I love what Marvel has done here. Hopefully we get to see Robbie in a Marvel Knights book soon?

GONERS #1 Defending us from the supernatural and paranormal, the Latimer family is about to lose some of their senior members. Suspense, action and a little horror, Image’s latest seems to be releasing in the most appropriate month for this genre mixer. In addition, Jorge Corona’s art is crazy amazing.

DEATHSTROKE #1 Finally, Slade Wilson gets his own new 52 series. The cover reads like Deathstroke will actually have to fight to continue to exist. After a good chunk of folks discovered Deathstroke for the first time thanks to Arrow (One of my favorite shows) it seems like the timing is right. I’m really not into variants, but I saw a few I just have to have. Kudos to DC for striking the metal while it was hot.

MULTIVERSITY THE JUST #1 The newest generation of super heroes are being treated like stars. They grace the cover of tabloids and they keep the rumor mill churning. This book really got my attention, Ive always enjoyed a good what if. Now that a real threat is coming. I wonder if this new generation has what it takes.

FATHERS DAY #1 Twenty years ago, the Eastside Butcher was an infamous mom enforcer. He just got greeted by an abandoned daughter who led a bunch of hit men to his location. I’ve been on a “I’m going to judge Mr Fantastic’s father skills” binge thanks to David Hj. As soon as I saw this title and read its synopsis I knew I wanted to read it. It sort of compliments the subject matter I’ve been intaking lately.
F.D. White's picture
The Amazing Spider-Man #8: Spider-verse continues! I've loved pretty much every issue of this. Focusing on Mayday Parker, I'm probably going to cry by the end of this.

Axis #3: After a decent first issue and a stronger second one, I'm pretty excited for Axis to chug along. This will be the end of the first act, and all the interesting parts seem to be coming after.
RobertJCross's picture
Man, almost too many to list this week, but I'll do my best!

Butterfly #2: I really dug the first issue of this and I'll be picking up the second issue because of those initial feelings. It wasn't how it was described to me when I read it, so I went in with a clean slate, which aided in my enjoyment. Can't wait.

Edward Scissorhands #1: I like Tim Burton's films before he started adapting children's books. This has peaked my interest and lit a fire under the little Goth in me.

G.I. Joe #2: Again, the first issue was pretty stellar and I'm stoked to see how it all turns out. I even had a dream about COBRA the night after I read and reviewed it, that has to mean something.

Godzilla Cataclysm #3: This only has two issues left after this and I'm bummed because it could easily be expanded because of the source material. I'm still beyond stoked to see where it goes.

TMNT Ghostbusters #1: I'm a child of the 80s. I think that's all that needs to be said.

The Walking Dead #133: Two issue in one month from Kirkman. We all know it's because we're about to celebrate Halloween and the TV show's fifth season just started. Whatever reason though, I'm picking this up...always do...have been for 10 years...

Big week! Ready to read em' all!
Forrest.H's picture

Here goes!

Memetic: BOOM! Is putting out a 3 issue story about a killer meme ala The Ring video. So, it's either going to be a hilarious success or a shockingly bad example of dated media. Find out in my review on Wednesday.

POP 3: I've enjoyed the previous two for their good blend of intrigue and 90's-super future world. The creators have been teasing something big in this issue so I hope it doesn't dissapoint.

Wicked Divine 5: This book is really confusing but still infinitely cool. Things are heating up for Luci and Laura so I'm excited to see where this goes. Hopefully, there's some more action and less lofty but ultimatley boring dialogue. 

louis whiteford's picture
Zenith Phase 1 - Grant Morrison fans now have a chance to fill one of the more glaring gaps in their collection. Out of print for 20 years, Morrison's first major superhero saga returns in a classy looking hardcover thanks to the fine folks at 2000 AD.

Colder: The Bad Seed #1  - Have you seen the cover to this thing? I can't believe the guy who writes Bandette could also come up with something that looks as terrfying as this.  Some credit must go to artist Jaun Ferreyra for the gruesome designs that are already sticking with me just from a google image search. Whether or not the comic is about a man made of fingers, it looks destined to terrify.