Weekly Spinner Picks For 10/15/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

I have a really small list this week which is not a bad thing! I’ve had about a month of big weeks and have fallen behind on my reading so this break should give me a chance to catch up!

BPRD Hell on Earth #124:  This is a stand-alone story for the BPRD team after wrapping up the short but darn fun Japan arc. The reason I’m most excited for this issue is it marks the return of artist Tyler Crook to the title. I’ve always been a fan of his work on the series. Of course Mr. Crook will be joined by the mainstay writing team of Mike Mignola and John Arcudi with colours provided by superstar colorist Dave Stewart! This issue has the BPRD team in Santa Fe with Ogdru Hem on the edge of town. From the preview pages I’ve seen it looks like the action will revolve around a coffee shop! Two of my loves bridged together...BPRD and coffee!! I can’t wait!

Deadly Class #8: This Image ongoing series is one of my favorites right now. It’s written by Rick Remender with art by Wes Craig. It follows the trials and tribulations of Marcus Lopez as he makes his way through school...a school for assassins in training! This issue features a terrifying figure from his past coming back into his life and threatens to take away everything Marcus has worked towards in his new life. If you haven’t checked this out yet pick up the first trade paperback and give it a go. 

Comments

spicytoilet's picture

Kind of a short week for me guys, the one’s I’m most excited for are:

TRINITY OF SIN #1  The trinity of sin have hated each other for as long as I can remember.  However, the Question, Phantom Stranger and Pandora are now forced to work together.  A dark secret will be revealed and it will be up to those three to save humanity.  

These are character that I simply love but hate that they just don't get the air time they truly deserve.  With DeMatteis writing, I have very high expectations!

WITCHBLADE CASE FILES #1  Pezzini’s personal files, all 19 years and 180+ issues worth are gonna spill wide open!  And we get to see the talent hunt’s back up story too.  

All in all, this is an absolute must for any Witchblade fan.  Lately Top Cow has been making some serious moves and lots of noise.  In 2014 we saw Rise of the Magi, Genius, Cutter and now this.  2014 is definitely the year of the cow and I can’t wait to see what’s next!

DEATH OF WOLVERINE LOGAN LEGACY #1  So one of the most well known, most iconic mutants is dead.  We get to see how his closest friends and enemies try and cope.  Most importantly and most interesting, we get to see how the void Logan leaves behind gets filled.

I’m still not 100% sure if Marvel will let Logan permanently kick the bucket.  Wolverine is a heck of a franchised legacy.  This book, it will be quite appropriate and a welcomed addition to any Wolverine fan’s collection.  To see things from Logan's most closest confidants and foes perspective is just icing on the cake. 

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Pretty small week for me, but it’s a week filled with quality as well!

New Avengers #25
I’m always excited for New Avengers. With its grandiose scale and incredible character drama, New Avengers has always been among my favourites at Marvel. Time Runs Out has been emphasising how good Hickman is at bringing past plot-points to the forefront and showing that nothing he writes is wasted. I can’t wait to see what he brings up this issue and I’m hoping for some more Doom. Hickman sure does write a great Doom!

Death of Wolverine #4
I’ve been loving Death of Wolverine. I was initially skeptical about the series but Charles Soule and Steve Mcniven have been killing it. The plot is pretty basic but Soule’s portrayal of Wolverine is a reminder of why the character is so beloved. I’m disappointed that Soule’s first Wolverine story is his death because he writes him so damn well. Wolverine will be missed after this issue!

Daredevil #9
Daredevil is an incredible character and my personal favourite superhero. With all the hype surrounding his upcoming TV Show I’ve went back to read some Miller era issues and still adore them after my fifth reading. That being said, I’ve been loving what Mark Waid is doing with the character. Last issue introduced a new and interesting threat for Matt and I’m eager to see a confrontation between them, hopefully in this issue.

RobertJCross's picture
Super stoked for this week!

Alice Cooper #2: The first issue was cool enough to warrant a reading of the second. I'm hoping their is some rise in the quality. Regardless, it's fun comic, a popcorn comic if you will.

Evil Within #1: Based around a survival horror Bethesda video game. Should be well written because they definitely don't skimp in the writing department. Most comic book tie-ins to video games aren't very good, but I'm hopng this is.

Hellraiser Bestiary #3: Love this series, very grim. Can't wait for this issue. Pinhead rules.

Sleepy Hollow #1: Never seen the TV show, but this looks cool. I've always been fascinated with the mythology and story of Ichabod Crane, it's fun.

Good week!
Tori B.'s picture
Death of Wolverine #4 -- I'm already crying someone help me.
Wolverine and the X-Men #10 -- See above.

Okay but actually, the Death of Wolverine arc has been heartful and a beautiful story for any Wolverine fan. It respects Logan completely and honors his story throoughout. He's one of my favourite characters, and I hate to see him go, but it's great to see that he's going out well. That won't stop me from being emotional though.

Magneto #11 -- This has actually been one of my favourite series that Marvel has recently put out, I love what they're doing with the character and really seeing him for the multi-layered character he is. His story within AXIS as well has been full of history for any Magneto fan, but still intruging enough that you still want to see where his story will ultimately take him.
louis whiteford's picture
Megahex has been around for a hot minute now, but I'm taking the time to officially endorse it. Simon Hanselmann's comics are smarter, funnier, and sadder han I initially gave him credit for, and his art astounds when he takes the time to draw something besides Megg and Mogg sitting on the couch. Hanselmann's second book contains over 200 pages of stories. Get it while it's hot.

Jonathan Hickman fans who still haven't read The Manhattan Projects have another chance to get into this delerious, devilish series. The Manhattan Projects Vol. 1 Hardcover collects the first 10 issues of the hit series about mad scientists and the terrors they create.

The monetarily-strapped reader might be more interested in The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #16 and Ms. Marvel #9. Two of Marvel's best series are sure to provide a steady source of quality yarns and killer artwork. Superior Foes is inching closer to it's end, but Ms Marvel is still going strong and shows no signs of ending.
Forrest.H's picture
Beep beep it's me the last one on spinner picks this week 'cause I suck.

Cutter 3: Carrie in comic form. This has really been putting me in the October/Halloween mood, it's a fun revenge horror story that I can really see having a suckerpunch ending that I'll love.

Prometheus Fire and Stone 2: I bought the 9 DVD Alien Quadrilogy set this week so Prometheus is a natural choice for me. If Dark Horse handles this right, they can have an Alien-Prometheus-Predator crossover of stellar quality, establishing themselves as the go-to publisher for experimentation (see Archie V Predator) and also for 80's-90's sci-fi awesomeness 

Witchfinder 5: I feel like I'm almost always satisfied by how Mignolaverse arcs end. Edward is a great character and the Eel-evilness of this book as been fun even if the story has been confusing. 

Forrest.H's picture
hello