Weekly Spinner Picks for 10/02/2013

stephengervais's picture

Good day everyone! I hope your week is starting off well. If you have those Monday blues hopefully my most anticipated comic releases for this week will cheer you up. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my picks and let us know what you are picking up.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1 (of 5): There are two huge reasons I’m looking forward to the latest incarnation of the Marvel Knights imprint and particularly the Spidey title. The first one being I’m a huge fan of writer Matt Kindt’s work so I’m looking forward to his take on my favorite web-slinger. Secondly, and most importantly, finally we get a story with Peter Parker back behind the mask! From the previews I’ve seen this looks like a great book. As mentioned it’s written by Kindt and it’s the Marvel debut of artist Marco Rudy. The premise is Spider-Man has to take on 99 of Marvel’s greatest villains to save countless lives. I’m definitely on board for this mini-series.

Batman Black and White #2: I thoroughly enjoyed issue #1 and will be picking up this series in its entirety. Each issue contains several mini-stories written and drawn by some of the biggest names in the industry. I really enjoy the look of black and white artwork in issue #1 and in general.  Great stories and artwork is a sure-fire formula to get me to spend my hard-earned dollars. Oh and how could I forget the great cover by Jim Steranko alone makes this an automatic purchase!

Lazarus #4: This is the conclusion of the first arc, Family. If you have been trade waiting this series you are in for a treat. The creative team of writer Greg Rucka and artist Michael Lark have come up yet another hit. This issue has our main character, Forever, defending her family and more of the plot of the twins is revealed. I’ve come to the conclusion that no one in the industry does stronger female characters than Rucka. It’s such a refreshing change over a lot of the typical female characters we are bombarded with. Thank you sir!

Comments

Marvel Knights Spider man looks good.. Had no idea it was coming out, but I'll give it a shot.  Pretty excited to see where Mighty Avengers goes from the first book too.

Other than that, there's Bedlam and Trillium.  Oh, and thunderbolts!  It seemed like a comic I should like, but the few issues I grabbed sucked.  I luckily picked up the last two and it's living up to the potential.  I hate to say it, put it was probably the Dillan (sp?  The preacher guy?) that threw me off.  He's allowed to draw preacher & punisher max.  That's all.