Weekly Spinner Picks for 10/01/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Ok it’s a pretty huge week this upcoming Wednesday. We’re getting a new Cap, a new Thor, a pile of #1s, and some great continuing issues from a bunch of fantastic ongoing series such as The Woods, Nailbiter, Fade Out, and Usagi Yojimbo. I’ve limited my list to 4 picks but really this week has a ton of great issues coming out. This is the kind of week comic fans dream of!

Men of Wrath #1:  This is the title that has me most intrigued this week. It’s written by one of my favorites, Jason Aaron, and drawn by Ron Garney. This tale takes place in Alabama and revolves around a family cursed with a violent past. The main protagonist is a member of the family who also happens to be “the coldest hitman ever to walk on Alabama soil”. It sounds like a title Image or even Vertigo would publish but it’s been published under the seldom used Marvel imprint, Icon.  I really can’t wait to check this one out.

Thor #1: Ok unless you’ve been living under a rock in Mongolia you know all the hype and build up surrounding this issue. Yep the hammer of Mjolnir is now being wielded by a female hero. As writer Jason Aaron has said no it’s not She-Thor, Lady Thor, etc. It is simply Thor the female God of Thunder. The issue is drawn by Russell Dauterman and of course published by Marvel Comics. I`m pretty excited to see how it all plays out.

Captain America #25: This is again another huge issue with a ton of hype surrounding it. I take all our readers know that a new Captain America will emerge with this issue. It is written by the great Rick Remender with incredible artwork from Carlos Pacheco. Not only do we get a new Cap with this issue but it`s also the conclusion to the Dimension Z saga. One of the things I love about Remender is he can truly stick the landing. This should be a good one folks!

Gotham Academy #1: This series looks like a whole lot of fun. I kind of groaned when DC announced 3 more bat-related titles but this one looks a lot different. It`s written by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher with art duties handled by Karl Kerschl. It centers on the students and faculty of the prestigious prep school, Gotham Academy. I`m sure Bats will make his way into the story and from the images I`ve seen it really looks like it`ll be a fun light-hearted series.

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
An exciting week for sure! These are the ones I’m really looking forward to:

Fiction Squad #1 In Fablewood, all the character from your favorite fairy tales live amongst each other. Frankie and Simple Simon are partnered and put on various cases. It’s set to be a great mystery title, mixed in with some fun elements.

Flash Season Zero #1 I can’t wait for this show and I’m hoping this book spoils a bit.

Gotham Academy #1 A top shelf prep school that houses some interesting students in odd situations. I can’t wait to see how the Gotham mythologies play out.

Green Lantern New Gods Godhead #1 Highfather needs one of each of the Lantern rings, and he’s about to unleash something that just can’t be missed.

Lobo #1 Promising ample amounts of violence, Lobo finally gets his own series! The bloodshed in the book was promised to shock. Lets see…

Holmes vs. Houdini #1 I love the game and I love the chase. Two of my favorites joining forces to fight a common enemy.

Cutter #1 Released weekly, and a reminder of what goes around comes around, Cutter focuses on a kid with secrets who comes face to face with a vicious serial killer.

Men Of Wrath #1 The coldest hit man to ever walk on Alabama soil just took a job that will decide his violent family’s future.

Thor #1 A woman becomes worthy of Mjolnir, one of the most powerful and unpronounceable weapon in the Marvel universe. No sidekick BS here, she’s Thor now! Not Thor-ette, not Ms Thor. Just Thor.

Guardians 3000 #1 As always, a group of underdogs attempting to save the cosmos. Perfect setting.

Bucky Barnes Winter Soldier #1 After what went down in Original sin and after Fury did what he did (I wont spoil it) we get to see what becomes of Bucky.
Kalem Lalonde's picture
What a crazy comic week. I have 13 comics and wanted to add almost all of them to my list!

Men of Wrath #1
If Southern Bastards is any indication of the quality and effort Jason Aaron can put into a book then Men of Wrath should be incredible. Southern Bastards is my favourite ongoing series and Men of Wrath has the potential to become my favourite limited series.

Bucky Barnes: Winter Solider #1
Ales Kot on any book is a must buy for me. His image title Zero is one of my favourites and I’ve heard his work on Secret Avengers is great.  Add an amazing artist like Marco Rudy and an amazing character like the Winter Solider and you’ve got yourself guaranteed awesomeness.

Thor #1
The controversial female Thor debuts here. I always believed the idea to be a great one. God of Thunder had its up and downs but I have no reason to doubt Jason Aaron’s ability to write a great Thor story.

The Fade Out #2
I’m not a huge Ed Brubaker fan. He’s a great writer but his style isn’t particularly my favourite. I read the first three trades of fatale and while I think it’s a very well written comic, it didn’t captivate me like it did others. Having said that, I was completely enthralled while reading The Fade Out. The first issue was one of the strongest comic debuts this year. When I opened my comic list for last week and saw that it was delayed I felt sad. I love this comic, if you haven’t picked it up yet, there's still time to rectifity that error.

Green Lantern #35 and Godhead #1
This Green Lantern run has been controversial, but I’ve been loving it. Like it or not, Robert Venditti has been adding a lot to the green lantern mythos. He’s leaving a big mark on the title and this coming crossover seems to be his biggest yet.

RobertJCross's picture
So stoked for this week in comics!!

The Fade Out #2: #1 got a 10/10 from me because of how amazing it was and I have no doubt in my mind that #2 will not be as enthralling. Brubaker is a modern day Mozart with words and he shows no signs of slowing down.

The Walking Dead #132: Should be another stellar issue by Kirkman and Co. We're still dealing with the transition from the last 7 issues into the future, but I see this transition finally grasping readers in the next few issues.

Can't wait!
louis whiteford's picture
Some of our writers are having way too much fun this week, but my excitement's a touch more tempered. A slew of new series? Bah! I remain cautiously optimistic for three titles.

Masterplasty (One shot) - Cartoonist James Harvey has been gaining popularity on the internet. Now, this tale of plastic surgery is available for the masses!

The Fade Out #2 - Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips's first issue was all kinds of promising. I'm excited to see where this one goes.

Southern Bastards Vol. 1 - The book that was once too slow for me won't be too slow when I read it in book form. Very excited to give Southern Bastards another read.

F.D. White's picture
Way, way too many books out this week...

Captain America #25: It's the end of an epic run that will surely lead into another epic run. 

Gotham Academy #1: I'm actually pretty excited for this YA series from DC. It's a step in a fresh direction for them, plus the team of Fletcher, Cloonan, and Kerschl is killer.

Rat Queens #8: Already read it (review coming shortly), but it feels like it's been forever since the last issue and I've been sorely missing it. Needless to say, it does not disappoint. 

Thor #1: At first the concept confused me because I never considered "Thor" as a costumed persona. I always considered Thor as one entity. But after that immediate hump, I got over it quickly because the art looks amazing and the story seems really interesting.

Uncanny Avengers #25: Same as Captain America. Remender is, by far, my favorite current writer.