Weekly Spinner Picks for 09/25/2013

stephengervais's picture

Lots of quality releases coming out this week. I feel sorry for my poor wallet; looks like it’ll be an expensive one! Here are the ones I’m most looking forward to. Let me know if you agree or not with my picks and make sure you tell us what you are looking forward to.

Punisher Trial of Punisher #1 (of 2): Punisher is by far the character that I’ve followed the most during my comic collecting years. If you take a look in my long boxes from my teenage years you’ll definitely see a Punisher-buying trend. Even if I didn’t collect the series if the Pun made an appearance it was an automatic purchase which makes for some really random issues amongst huge runs. During my hiatus from comics I still managed to keep up with the character through the local library. And of course when I got back into the scene I was all over anything Frank Castle. As you can imagine with no current ongoing series I’ve been fiending like a junkie for some new Punisher! No I don’t count Thunderbolts as new Punisher material! At long last my calls were answered with this new two-parter written by Marc Guggenheim and drawn by Leinil Yu. I expect great things from Yu. I think he is a perfect artist to capture the grittiness of the character. The story sounds promising as well. We have Frank Castle surrendering himself to the police to stand trial for murdering a district attorney.

Batman Dark Knight #23.4 Joker’s Daughter: Villain’s month is wrapping up this week at DC and nothing is getting more hype than this title. It’s not coming out until Wednesday but the 3D cover is already pre-selling on EBay for 50 bucks!! Craziness! If, and that’s a big if, I can find this for cover price come Wednesday I will pick this up out of curiosity. It’s written by Ann Nocenti and drawn by George Jeanty. The cover does look great and the story sounds promising: “In the aftermath of the destruction of Arkham Asylum, Joker’s daughter is gaining hordes of followers throughout this new terrifying and brutal landscape”. I’m curious to see just who the Joker’s daughter really is. If I can’t find the 3D version on the stands hopefully I can still manage to find a 2D copy.

TMNT #26: This is part 5 of the current story arc City Fall which is so far one of the best Turtle stories I’ve ever read. Every time this title comes out it’s always the first comic I read that week. Yes it’s that good! Obviously not a good jumping on point but if you can find the first 4 issues you’re in for a treat. It’s written by Tom Waltz and Kevin Eastman and drawn so beautifully by Mateus Santolouco. If this arc has an ending as good as the rest of the story it will be talked about as one of the top TMNT stories of all time.

Saga #14: It’s good to see writer Brian K. Vaughan and penciller Fiona Staples back on schedule with this book. I was worried that the last hiatus, prior to the previous issue, could become routine. Thankfully those worries seem to be unfounded. This issue has Gwendolyn and Slave Girl think about the future. I feel because of the 3 month hiatus, last issue was a bit of letdown. I’m hoping things pick up again with this issue.

Wake #4 (of 10): Writer Scott Snyder and illustrator Sean Murphy’s Vertigo series the Wake continues this week. So far I’ve enjoyed the heck out of this series and don’t see why this issue will be any different!

Comments

Nice week of comics.  I almost forgot that Jupiters Legacy was a thing. Might take that as a sign to drop the book.

I'd consider any week when Saga and East of West came out on the same day to be perfect.. throw in Wake and now i'm worried that there'll be nothing to read next week.

On top of that I'll also grab punisher (anyone know if it's a continuation of punisher vs avengers?), wolverine and xmen and maybe spiderman team up if it looks interesting.

...why are they still making A+X?

stephengervais's picture
The Punisher is just a two-parter. Rumour has it Ennis will be working on some sort of Pun title in 2014 though! Looking forward to that. His Max run is one of the best.

I'll be picking up Jupiter's as well. I know it's a long wait between issues but I can't pass on Quitely artwork. Think I'll get Spidey team-up as well, the rest of the series has been pretty fun.

Ugh.. comic shop didn't get my copy of east of west.  I also subbed Spidy team-up with Deadpool.. I'd heard good things about the current story & it's great!  Went back the next day and grabbed the previous issue.  

Saga is still the best thing out there.