Weekly Spinner Picks for 09/24/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Sorry for the delay this week and the lack of Tweets this weekend folks! I just got back from a mini Toronto family weekend vacation. It was a ton of fun. We went to the new Ripley’s Aquarium, checked out the zoo, ate tons of good food, and visited friends. It was a pretty jammed weekend but everyone had fun especially my toddler! Without further delay here are the comics I’m most looking forward to this week. I’m a little brief with my explanations tonight but I still need to unpack!

Edge of Spider-Verse #3: Absolutely loving the opening to this event so far! This next chapter is both written and drawn by Dustin Weaver. I have the outmost faith that this story will continue to shine with each new issue. I actually get the feeling that this will be become a story that future discussions of Spidey’s best tales will get a lot of mentions.

Aliens Fire and Stone #1: Writer Chris Robinson brings the Aliens franchise into the Fire and Stone event this week. This crossover is most certainly living up to its hype. I can’t wait to read more of it!

G.I. Joe #1: I had high hopes for the G.I. Joe relaunch a year or so back and quite frankly it disappointed me. I read the first story arc for each new released title and felt they fell flat. I once again have high hopes for this reboot. It’s got a different kind of Joe premise where Cobra has become an international peacekeeping team and folks are questioning the need for the Joes. With the promise of actual real world events being portrayed in the book I think it has a ton of potential. Yo Joe count me in!

Roche Limit #1: Hey I’m always excited for any new series from Image and after reading Frank’s advance review, it can be found on the home page, I’m even more so!

Wayward #2: I enjoyed issue one from writer Jim Zub and artist Steve Cummings and have a feeling this issue will be even better.

Low #3: I admit I’m an issue behind in this series but I will rectify that before this latest offering from writer Rick Remender comes out this Wednesday!

Comments

spicytoilet's picture

So many to choose from this week guys!

BATMAN DEATH OF THE FAMILY BOOK & JOKER MASK SET:  Comes with a hand painted gross looking Jokers mask plus the Death of The Family Arc!  The perfect gift for tragedy lovers.  

HARLEY QUINN FUTURES END #1:  The Joker and Harley finally get legally married.  Who can miss this one?

SANDMAN OVERTURE #3 SPECIAL ED:  I love these Sandman special edition books, it really lets me admire the crazy art process in this story.

SUPERMAN FUTURES END #1:  I’m being told that this one shot will revolve around a dark menacing Superman.  That’s my favorite kind of Superman!

A VOICE IN THE DARK GET YOUR GUN #1:  The synapsis reads like a great summer flick.  Uncle Zeke is taken off of a case due to a possible conflict of interest.  His niece and her room mates are possible murder suspects.  And it seems like a stalker was mixed in here for good measure.

ROCHE LIMIT #1:  Roche Limit is a space colony full of crime and secrets.  It promises to blend Bladerunner and 2001 A Space Odyssey and I’m thinking this could end up being The Fuse that I wanted from Image.  

WAYWARD #2:  Issue 1’s pace was all over the place and I loved it.  I can’t wait for this one, there’s still so much going on that just hasn’t been explained yet.  I’m definitely on the hook

F.D. White's picture
There's so many good books out this week that it's hard to pick. But since this is our weekly Spinner Picks I'll try to keep it down to four books. 

Edge of Spider-Verse #3 - Spider-Verse has had an incredibly strong start. Each issue has been compelling and interesting and I expect this trend to continue with the next one-shot. It's so fascinating to be able to explore alternate Spider-Man worlds even if for just a brief amount of time. 

Saga #23 - Betrayal. That's all the solicitation says. Saga has been brilliant with their limited info solicitations and lack of preview copies (even if it's infuriating). I'm expecting this to be a gut-punch of an issue.

Superman: Doomed #2 - The other book end to the almost brilliant, sometimes ho-hum Superman event. I'm glad I stuck through it all even if some parts weren't as strong as others and some tie-ins seemed wholly unnecessary. 

Wayward #2 - After an incredibly strong start. Wayward is back and I couldn't be more excited. As someone who used to love Manga. It's nice to have an American comic with the vibe of a manga. It fills the whole that 14 year old Frank left in me. 

Forrest.H's picture
Good week for non-big-two fans like me!

Sundowners 2 - Continuing the story of crazy/maybe-not-so-crazy superheroes who meet eachother in a support group for their "sundowning" (dressing up at night like superheroes). The first issue was just kind of average until the cliffhanger at the end which has me highly anticipating issue 2.

POP 2 - A perfect blend of northwest 90's vibe (which as a washingtonian I know as home) and a weird sci-fi setup has me excited to continue this story of a genetically bred superstar on the run.

Roche Limit 1 - Blade Runner, 2001, and real "hard" sci-fi. Sweet. Frank's review from earlier this week has me even more excited than I knew possible. Image is killing it daily, nightly, and ever-so-rightly.

Saga 23 - There's nothing that I can say about Saga that hasn't been said elsewhere. Only comic book to make me cry in my 21 years and I love it.

Low 3 - Rick Remender is my favorite writer right now. Low is my favorite book by him right now. The art is my favorite art in comics right now. Cool? Cool. 

RobertJCross's picture
Here we go!

Butterfly #1: Apparently it's True Detective in comic book form. I can't hate on that because I loved True Detective. I can't wait to see if the comparison is true.

G.I. Joe #1: The original American Badass, G.I. Joe, returns once again! It's written by the guy who wrote Gears of War and Star Wars: Republic Commando, so he knows a little bit about military fiction. Should be a good comic.

Shweet!
stephengervais's picture
Kalem's Picks this week:

New Avengers #24 : After last issue's explosive cliffhanger, how could you not be begging for more? And with Valerio Schiti back on art, we've got a very promising issue on our hands.

Loki: Agent of Asgard #6: I've missed this series so much over the last few months. Hopefully the new artist will be able to hold the artistic highs of the first arc!