Weekly Spinner Picks for 09/17/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Superior Spider-Man #33: I’m onboard for the whole Spider-Verse event. I really enjoyed the first part last week and have faith that this will be a great run. Looking at the checklist in the back of last week’s issue I realized I missed the opening with Superior Spider-Man #32 so I’ll be picking that up as well.

Multiversity The Society of Super-Heroes Conquerors #1: This is again another event in which I really enjoyed the first part. It’s of course being touted as the biggest event in DC history brought to us from the mind of comic book writing legend, Grant Morrison. This chapter is also drawn by one of my favorite artists, Chris Sprouse, so it’s an easy pick for me!

Deadly Class #7: Writer Rick Remender is set to begin his second arc with this title. I was thoroughly entertained by the first arc and do recommend you pick up the trade if you missed out. This issue has what’s left of the gang returning to their School for the Deadly Arts about to learn a hard lesson, no bad deed goes unpunished!

B.P.R.D. #123: Wow I didn’t realize until I was writing this that I have 3 “chapter 2” issues in my picks this week. This is the second part to the latest BPRD adventure which finds the bureau in Japan. The crew are battling a huge ass monster destroying the city with, as usual, other mysteries surrounding the events.

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
Its a slow indie week for me. 

Sirens #1  The name George Perez sells it for me.  It’s a sic fi all female hero team with amnesia!  The heroines don't remember who they are and the universe remembers them as villains!  This industry will only benefit from the exposure of prominent female characters.  I’m all in!

Oddly Normal #1  From Image we get this cutesy title.  I love the art work, especially the back grounds and use of color.  On her 10 year old Bday, Oddly makes a terrible wish.  She’s half human half…. half something else.  It’s an all ages book.  And I’m glad Image is publishing it.  I bet this is gonna be a guilty pleasure to read.  But as a man, I may deny ever reading it hahaha. 
F.D. White's picture
It's a big Spider-Verse week! 

Superior Spider-Man #33: Unfortuantely this is the last Superior issue probably for awhile...I'm hoping SpOck will still play a large role in Spider-Verse even if his book doesn't!

Edge of Spider-Verse #2: More Spider-Verse! Gwen Stacy as Spider-Man! I'm sold. 

Uncanny Avengers #24: Second to last issue. Excited to see where Remender takes the Marvel universe!

Forrest.H's picture
Slow week but hey, won't stop me from writing about it anyways.

Siren's 1: I'm pretty much in it for all the same reasons as Spicy Toilet said, on top of that I really like Rat Queens and I'm hoping there's some all girl power/humour in this.

Witchfinder 4: I love the mignolaverse. So much so that I'm one of those people that complains about like everything that comes out from it. You know, those people. Either way we're wrapping up this lil witchfinder run soon and I'm excited to see how it finishes and to see if we get more of Edward Grey's demon haunter.

Wicked + Divine 4: Absolutely loving this book and its take on celeb culture and religion too. I'm a little worried that it might get a little too lofty but right now I'm hooked. 
RobertJCross's picture
Another week for the comic geek!

Godzilla Cataclysm #2: I loved the first issue and this issue will probably be more of the same knockdown dragout monster madness that we all know and love. Godzilla reigns supreme.

Hellraiser Bestiary #2: Another favorite of mine that I reviewed before. Who doesn't love the stoic and manic nature of Pinhead & Friends? Clive Barker's world is so full of grotesque imagery that these comics can be guaranteed to send a shiver down your frame.

OH YEAH! Can't wait!
louis whiteford's picture
Jim is in stores! Jim is in stores! Jim is in stores!  Jim Woodring's largest, most comprehensive book of non-Frank material is here, and while I haven't read it yet, a quick perusal at the local shop showed me it's all the art book I could imagine and more. 

Classical illustrator Michael Hauge wraps up Eye of Newt at Dark Horse with issue #4.  This gorgeous fantasy series has flown under the radar since it started, and it deserves a push.  Hauge's stylistic choices  are far classier, and far more interesting than the unresearched DnD/Warcraft inspired nonsense most comics settle for. A true visionary, I say!

Is Multiversity happening this week?  Does Stephen have access to information I don't?  I sure hope so.  The first issue of Multiversity was great, and it should only get better now that we're delving into the meat of the series.  This month is Chris Sprouse drawing The Society of Super Heroes, so keep on eye out. It's off of DC's website at this moment, but giant comic book publishers can be surprisingly finnicky with their release dates. 

If Multiversiy isn't happening, don't worry, there's still the Top Shelf Annual Online Sale, going on through Friday, Sept 26.  Lots of great deals, but shipping is 10 bucks no matter what, so stock up!  Don't order just one thing.