Weekly Spinner Picks for 09/11/2013

stephengervais's picture

It’s time to shake those Monday blues away with another exciting column of my Weekly Spinner Picks. Feel free to agree or disagree with my picks and make sure to leave a comment as to what you are anticipating this week. Alright, here we go...

Astro City #4: Anyone who follows my Weekly Spinner Picks knows I’m a big advocate of most things published by Vertigo. Astro City is no exception. Written by Kurt Busiek and illustrated by Brent Anderson, Astro City examines how heroes, villains, and ordinary people all interact amongst each other. Each story comes from different vantage points from this wonderful cast. The last 2 issue arc really got me on board with this series. I love how the arcs are only 1 or 2 issues long and then we move onto another story. It’s so refreshing instead of what seems like many drawn out arcs in the current comic book landscape. Marvel’s Age of Ultron comes to mind! This issue has a young telekinetic forcibly recruited by a criminal mastermind. Will she fight back or give in? I can’t wait to find out in Astro City #4.

Detective Comics #23.2 (Harley Quinn): Villains month continues this week with another slew of baddies taking over our favorite heroes books. Now I’ll admit last week I got sucked into the hype with those pretty 3D covers and bought a few more titles than I had initially said I would. This week I will be strong and only purchase the titles I normally collect. One of those is Detective Comics and I’m really looking forward to a good Harley Quinn tale. I haven’t been much of a fan of Harley in the New 52 but I’m hoping this origin type story does her justice. Also it’s written by one of my current favorites Matt Kindt so I have faith it’ll deliver.

SHIELD by Jim Steranko The Complete Collection: Steranko joined Twitter last month and by far he has become the most interesting poster on social media. He has so many no-holds-barred stories to tell about the industry and those who work within it you just can’t help but fall in love with the guy! If I could only follow one comic book Twitter account it would be his. Before he started posting I admit I was not familiar with his work but soon after I researched everything I could find out about him. I’m not sure if Marvel timed this release with Steranko taking over Twitter, and if not its amazing luck on their part, but I for one will be purchasing because his amazing feed!

FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics #3: Another Vertigo offering this week written by Simon Oliver and drawn by Robbi Rodriguez. This issue is definitely not a good jumping on point but I do recommend you find the first two issues and give this series a shot. It’s a great cast of characters and an original story line that’ll get you hooked!

Comments

Already have Hulk and Batman pulled.  I’ll probably add avengers Arena to that.. and maybe pickup lobo, just so I’ll have context to all the nerd rage that will follow.

Detective was on my list until I read the last Batman (the joker cover).  Is that what Quinn looks like now?  A pink nurse?  I’ll pass on it.

Maybe L’ll gotham to read with my kid, but I find it’s better read digitally.. easer for them to focus on a single thing.

If there’s an x-men atom tie-in, I’ll grab that too.

I guess the Quinn in the last batman issue wasn't the final costume.. or maybe it wasn't even Harley?  Eitherway, I couldn't bring that cover home.  Grow up DC.

stephengervais's picture
^^ LOL! Good job on the pass! What a terrible issue. How's Hulk been? I had to cut it around issue 5 or 6. I just couldn't keep up with everything and it got the axe! Which was a difficult decision because I love Mark Waid's writing.

After the Walt Simonson run, Hulk got back on track (I almost dropped it too).. great two issue series with daredevil, and now a nice semi-infinity tie in with hulk trying to do something with the timeline.  Repair it, i guess.

For me, best book this week was mighty avengers #1.  Classic marvel fighting.. LUKE CAGE!!