Weekly Spinner Picks 09/10/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Prometheus Fire and Stone #1: This is the first issue of what looks like an amazing crossover event from Dark Horse Comics. I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced way back when! Not only does it involve some of my favorite franchises, Aliens, Predator, and Prometheus, but every preview page I’ve seen looks amazing. This first chapter is written by Paul Tobin with Juan Ferreyra handling the art duties. This issue has a team of new explorers seeking to uncover the mystery surrounding the disappearance the original Prometheus voyage.

MPH #3: I’ve always been a fan of Mark Millar’s work and MPH is no exception. My biggest gripe with Millar is I feel he sometimes has too many irons in the fire which cause huge delays in his shipping dates. So to counter this I usually read the first issue and then collect and wait for the rest of the series to get released. Then I proceed to binge read it! Otherwise I have to end up re-reading as I go along just to remember what happened. It’s sort of my way of supporting one of my favorite writers but not trade waiting so he gets the weekly sales. I know this strategy may come off a little weird but it works for me.

Copperhead #1: Image comics have pretty much taken over my pull list and I always give their #1s a try. I don’t always stick with the series but they’ve been so consistent the last few years I feel the always deserve a chance. This new sci-fi western written by Jay Faerber and drawn by Scott Godlewski looks like a dandy! It takes place in a small mining town and centres on the sheriff and single-mother with a few secrets, Clara. 

Comments

Forrest.H's picture
Wild's End #1 (BOOM!):  I'm not usually a fan of anything BOOM puts out but I am a fan of Dan Abnett who's helming this book and I think the whole anthropormorphic animals v. aliens ala war of the worlds thing could be cool. 

Dark Ages #2 (Dark Horse): I've been keeping a close eye on Dark Horse as they push out all these new #1's and creator driven projects in what I think is an attempt to keep up with Image's goldmine. Dark Ages was one of the better I've read as far as these new books and with only 3 more to go I'm excited to see where issue 2 takes us.

Copperhead #1 (Image): I'm all about every single book Image has out now pretty much and their #1's are almost always stellar. Last week, God Hates Astronauts. This week, Copperhead. 

Spread #3 (Image): I really want to like this book so I'm going to keep trying I guess? Issue 1 was good, issue 2...wasn't. But hey, 3rd time might be the charm. 

Tori B.'s picture
Prometheus Fire and Stone #1 : Shhhh, I love the Alien series, and uhm I secretly love Prometheus (obvious bias for David 8 aside), but I am so intruiged to see how this plays out within the franchise, I'm pretty sure I'll love it just because of it's rich backhistory. Also later generation androids that I'm wicked excited to see.

Edge of Spider-Verse #1 : u g h I've been waiting for so long to have some more Spider-Man noir in my life, and this mini series in general has all my favourite alternative spideys. I am so down for what Marvel's about to throw at me.

Hawkeye #20 : so there's this girl, her name is Kate Bishop. She's pretty amazing.

spicytoilet's picture

Constantine Futures End #1  He’s wearing the helmet of Fate.  Nuff said.  Right?  I mean, if some DC charector is on the cover wearing the helmet of Fate, you buy that.

68 Homefront #1  I enjoy the zombie genre, and I’m always looking for its new mythologies.  I’m gonna give this one a shot.  I'm hoping it does something different with zombies.  

Copperhead #1  This one really commanded my attention.  A small mining town on some other planet is being sherrifed by Clara.  But no one knows where she came from or why she decided to take the job.  Small communities talk, and it seems like this one is buzzing.  

Prophet Strikefile #1  I’ve always been a Brandon Graham fan.  And I have enjoyed Prophet as much as I’ve enjoyed his King City.  So this upcoming purchase was a no brainer for me.  

RobertJCross's picture
OH YEAH!!!! FOOTBALL IS BACK AND SO ARE THE COMICS!!!!

Prometheus Fire and Stone #1: Seems like everyone is stoked about this one and how can you not be? I didn't mind the film....though it was the 2nd weakest next to Alien 3 in the series. This looks cool and sounds cool!

The Walking Dead #131: My usual love of this series. Where would the world be without its high drama mixed with zombified fantasy? I don't want to even imagine such a cruel place.

Annihilator #1: Grant Morrison BABY! Need I say more?