Weekly Spinner Picks for 08/28/2013

stephengervais's picture

Wow already another Monday! The weekends certainly do fly by. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Now to make your Monday a bit more bearable I present you with my most anticipated comic releases this week. Feel free to leave to agree or disagree with me and please tell us what you are looking forward to. Alright as they say, on with the show.

Itty Bitty Hellboy #1: The creators of all-ages titles Tiny Titans and Superman Family Adventures, Art Baltazar and Franco Aureliano, come to Dark Horse comics to give their unique take on everyone’s favorite supernatural investigator, Hellboy. This issue has Hellboy and the whole BPRD crew chasing a ghost, Rasputin, around. Now this obviously is not part of the Mignolaverse continuity but that didn’t dissuade fans from pre-ordering this title. In fact demand was so high that this original 3-part series was bumped up to 5 issues. Not only does this comic look like a whole lot of fun but how cool is going to see Hellboy reunited with his BPRD pals?!

TMNT #25: This issue marks part 4 of the City Fall storyline which has been nothing short of great. With Leo taking on his turtle brethren last issue it would be safe to assume he is siding with Shredder and the Foot Clan. Next to a turtle dying this is a fresh new direction for the TMNT franchise. There has been much speculation the last couple of issues of a gang war about to erupt in NYC; hopefully this issue marks the debut for some all out action. Besides the original storyline, Santolouco’s artwork has been outstanding. I’m not familiar with his other work but he’s bringing this story to life. While this is not a great jumping on point it would be worthwhile to track down the first 3 parts. Trust me you won’t regret it.

FBP Federal Bureau of Physics #2 (formally Collider):  This Vertigo title has had the unfortunate luck of having to change its title between issue 1 and 2. Something I’ve never heard happen before. Someone else has the rights to Collider so we now have FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics. Despite the name change I’m still looking forward to the next installment to writer Simon Oliver’s tale. Last issue introduced us to the whole concept of the series, the laws of physics going haywire, and the cast of characters that investigate why. This series seems like a perfect Vertigo fit.

Comments

lucstclair's picture
Itty Bitty Hellboy doesn't really interest me and I can't believe that TMNT still draws an audience. The FBP? That's gotta be a first for a comic to completely change the name of its title, but I think that name fits well. Looking forward to the the final chapter of The Massive's NYC arc, I think it's the best Wood's ever done on this title. Thanos Rising is definetely on my radar, because well.. It's Thanos and it ties in to the current Infinity event.