Weekly Spinner Picks For 08/27/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Bodies #2 (of 8): I picked up the first issue on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it! Great artwork and a perfect story for the Vertigo imprint. What I made out from first issue is we have a killer who seems to be traveling through time committing murder through different eras. If you are looking for an original mini-series to pick up check this one out.

Black Science #8: I can’t recommend this series enough. It’s definitely one of my favorite ongoing comics right now. It’s no coincidence it’s written by one of my favorite authors, Rick Remender, with the beautiful artwork handled by Matteo Scalera. Each issue is just an absolute joy to read!

Genius #4 and #5: We get a double whammy of Genius this week from Top Cow Publishing. This again is a series I picked up on whim and have been rewarded with a great read! I’m excited to see how this one ends but I am sad that it is ending so fast. The weekly shipping on this title really made this one fast ride!

Pop #1: A new action sci-fi 4-part mini-series brought to us by the good folks at Dark Horse Comics. This one is written by Curt Pires and drawn by Jason Copland. In this created world pop stars and celebrities are products grown and owned by the world’s wealthiest and depraved minds. The story will follow the thrilling escape and chase of one these celebrity commodities! Sounds like a great original story to me, I’m on board!

Transformers Vs G.I. Joe #2: I just loved the first issue and really can’t wait to read part 2! This series is published by IDW and written by Tom Scioli and John Barber with Scioli also providing the art. Any fans of either franchise should definitely give this a shot. I love the nostalgic feelings I get reading this series!

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
Slow one for me;

Wayward #1  It’s probably going to get compared to Blood+, a lot.  But I enjoyed Jim Zub’s Skullkickers series, and I knew missing this one wouldn’t behoove me.  The use of color here is so eerie and appropriate.  The colors excite me!  TopCow is doing some amazing stuff.

Pop #1  The covers art kinda drew me in.  The barcode covering this short haired lady’s mouth made me stare even longer.  Enough for me to look this book up.  And I read this “What if the world’s pop stars and celebrities were literally products, grown by the world’s wealthiest (and most depraved) minds—and one of them escaped?”  I couldn’t walk away after reading that!

RobertJCross's picture
Hey there True Believers! Another week for the comic geek.

Genius #4 and #5: If I was having a love affair with a comic book at the moment, it would be with this sultry piece. Everything about this comic is pretty much perfect and while I can't wait to see how it ends, I don't want it to end. Like I said in my first review, this could easily be turned into a movie or TV show. This is one of the comics I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation for.

Sundowners #1: Looks purdy fricking sweet. Psychologically unbalanced superheroes with kick ass super powers who can't whether or not the enemy they fight is real...whew. Long winded explanation that cascades the mind with images right off the bat. This will either be amazingly amazing or....not? I'm going to go with the former.
louis whiteford's picture
It looks like this everyone's lack of regular picks led them to POP this week.  I think the premise of pop stars grown in labs by depraved rich people should be enough to sell anyone in this new series.  I couldn't have come up with a more perfect idea myself.

Other than that, I'll be keeping up with everyone's favorite cosmic space-time clusterfuck, Black Science.  Looks like there's bug people in this issue.  Wowza!

F.D. White's picture

I couldn't pick just a few of my pulls this week so I'm just putting up them all because I'm excited for all of them.

Black Science #8: Already read. Remender is perfecting something in this series where he places an intricately written and emotional monologue over very intense panels of action. It's happened quite a few times in this series (maybe even once per issue) and every time it's mesmerizing.

Guardians of the Galaxy #18: Maybe now I can finally learn what happened to Nova.

Saga #22: It's Saga. I'll probably always be excited for this book.

G.I. Zombie #2: A strong and interesting first issue, and a step in a different direction for DC has me interesting in the second issue. I'm hoping it keeps its momentum up.

Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #2: This book just has captured it's style so well and something about it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Uncanny Avengers #23: Remender wraps up this series with an arc that I imagine will be a lead-in to his upcoming AXIS event. It's been an incredibly strong series so far and I have no reason to not be excited.

Wayward #1: Already read it. It's magnificent. If the next few issues are as good as #1 it'll skyrocket to the top of my pulls each week.

For the first time in a while, I'm stoked for a few Big Two books.

Superman #34 - JRJ and Geoff Johns drew me to this title, and it's like coming home.  I haven't read a really solid Superman book in years.  This feels more like the classic Supes I grew up with than anything else.  I'm really digging this series.

Guardians of the Galaxy #18 - We've been waiting years for this.  The ending of Thanos Imperative from 2010 left Drax dead and Thanos, Nova (Richard Rider) and Star-Lord stranded in the Cancerverse.  They stayed there until Brian Michael Bendis brought everyone back in 2012's Avengers Assemble series.  Well, everyone except Richard Rider.  

C.O.W.L. #4 - I've fallen behind on this book.  I'm going to catch up tomorrow, though.  Kyle Higgins' great Chicago superhero story is building momentum even after a solid start.  I'm looking forward to big things from his team.