Weekly Spinner Picks for 08/21/2013

stephengervais's picture

Alright it's that time again! Everybody's favorite part of Monday when I write up my most anticipated comic book releases of the week. I have included 4 picks this week for your reading pleasure. I hope you enjoy my picks and let us know what you're picking up this week. Feel free to agree or disagree with my picks. Here we go...

Daredevil #30: As you all know this is my favorite running book in the Marvel Universe so it automatically makes my spinner picks every release! This issue marks the return of Chris Samnee to the interior artwork after a brief one-issue hiatus. I’m a huge fan of Samnee and happy his hiatus on my favorite title was only one issue. Also this issue DD teams up with Silver Surfer!! How cool is that?! I can’t wait to see what menace, series writer Mark Waid, comes up with to unite those two!

Chew TP Vol.7 Bad Apples: This Image series written by John Layman and drawn by Rob Guillory is one of the most original stories I’ve ever read. It also ranks as one of my favorites. It’s one of the two series I exclusively trade wait on because I lend it out so much. Whenever someone getting into comics wants something fresh and different I automatically reach for my volumes of Chew. It’s such a great series that I find never gets stale. I can’t wait for this next installment which has our favorite cibopathic federal agent, Tony Chu, going up against a cult of egg-worshipping terrorists.

Animal Man #23: I almost gave up on this series during the Rotworld crossover with Swamp Thing but I’m sure glad I didn’t. After the long, sometimes tedious Rotworld saga, writer Jeff Lemire, has turned this series back around to what made it so great at the start of the new 52 campaign. This issue Lemire, along with pencillers Steve Pugh and Francis Portela, wrap up the Splinter Species arc with this concluding issue. The teaser image at DC looks like it’ll be a gory issue which they advertise as “shocking and stunning”.

100 Bullets Brother Lono #3: I’m including an extra pick this week because...well because I want to. I picked up this Vertigo published #1 issue on a whim and was instantly hooked. This mini-series is written by the original writer of 100 Bullets, Brain Azzerello, and drawn by original artist, Eduardo Risso. I was a little leery of picking this up because I honestly don’t remember a whole lot from about the half of 100 Bullets that I did read. To my delight the opening issue read like a brand new series and my lack of knowledge of the original series did not hinder my enjoyment. What it did do though was peak my interest in going back and reading the original which I will be doing this winter. This issue has Brother Lono fighting his animal urges for revenge after a gruesome discovery. He’s such a great character and this issue will definitely be one of the first I read this week.

Comments