Weekly Spinner Picks for 08/14/2013

stephengervais's picture

Time for another thrilling episode of Spinner Picks! Here are my 3 most anticipated comic book releases for this week. Feel free to agree or disagree with me and make sure to leave your picks as well. Let's get on with the show!

Saga #13:  Oh my God I’ve been missing this title. I can’t believe it’s been four months since the last issue came out. Welcome back my old friend! I’m actually not quite sure how the last issue left off so I’ll have to definitely do a re-read before Wednesday. What I do know is that I’m really excited to see what Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples have in store for us with this latest chapter. They never seem to disappoint.

Batman #23:  Snyder and Capullo’s Year Zero continues this week. This is another creative duo that never disappoints me. It was announced this week that there would be several tie-ins with Year Zero which tells me Snyder has another epic story up his sleeve. I’m excited to see how it develops.

Thor: God of Thunder #11: This is probably my favorite title of the Marvel Now campaign and again it has a great consistent creative team of Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. That seems to be the theme of this week’s Spinner Picks. I do love when a team stays together for a good sized run. This issue is the grand finale of the God Butcher saga which has been nothing short of amazing. I hear Ribic is leaving the title after this issue which is a real shame because they do have something really special happening here. I long for the days when a team would stick together for longer periods of time.

Comments

lucstclair's picture
You hit the bullseye with everything you mentioned. Saga feels like a close friend I haven't seen in a while and it's good to see him or her again. Enjoying Snyder & Capullo's Batman run and as long as they keep dishing out the goods, I'll be there. Thor's final godbomb chapter looks epic, but sadly Ribic's leaving, Marvel's notorious for having their illustrators leave after 1 or 2 (if we're lucky) story arcs. Next up Ron Garney on pencils, don't wanna compare him to Ribic, but he's a pretty good illustrator. He did some old school Ghost Rider & Spirits of Vengeance,  they were decent enough. I'm looking forward to Infinity #1, but these Marvel events usually suck donkey balls, but its Thanos, I gotta get it, but to hell with the tie ins, they never add anything to the main event.