Weekly Spinner Picks for 08/07/2013

stephengervais's picture
Alright I'm back again with my most anticipated releases for the week. Let me know whether you agree or disagree with my picks and what you are looking forward to. Alright as they say, on with the show!

Trillium #1:  Once again this week a Vertigo title tops my list of most anticipated comics for the week. Being a self-confessed Jeff Lemire super fan this really is a no brainer for me since he will be writing and penning this 8-part mini-series. The title was announced way back when in October 2012 at New York Comic Con. I’ve since been awaiting, anxiously, its release. It’s described as an unlikely love story between a botanist and a war-scarred explorer separated by 1000’s of miles and years apart. Since his last Vertigo series, Sweet Tooth, ended I’ve had a giant hole in my comic book heart that I have faith this series will fill.

Robocop: The Last Stand #1:  Being a huge fan of action movies my number 2 pick of the week was also an easy choice. How can you go wrong with the iconic 80’s Robocop?! Throw in the fact that this is an adaptation of Frank Miller’s original screenplay for the third movie and you have a day one purchase from me. This is being published by Boom studios and is written by Steven Grant and drawn by Korkut Öztekin. This is being described as “the conclusion to the Robocop saga Miller’s screenplay had intended”. Can’t wait!

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #2: I thoroughly enjoyed the first issue of this series written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Steve Lieber. This issue has Boomerang out on bail and trying to keep himself and his gang out of jail. This might not be a smart move considering the Punisher now has his sights locked on them!

Comments

lucstclair's picture
Couldn't agree with you more on Trillium, not sure about Frank Miller's Robocop, the original mini series with Walt Simonson was cool, but lately Miller's not quite the talented writer/illustrator he used to be. The Spirit movie bombed, All Star Batman & Robin was a mess and Holy Terror was unbearable. as far as Superior Foes of Spider-Man, I have no interest at all in that series.