Weekly Spinner Picks for 08/06/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Legendary Star Lord and Rocket Raccoon #2: Both of these issues will be the first ones I read this week. I was a big fan of both debuts and I’ve been reading a ton of cosmic Marvel this month. I went to see the Guardians of the Galaxy movie on Friday and I just can’t get enough of these characters right now. These should give me a good fix on Wednesday!

Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers #1: A new cosmic comic from Dynamite Entertainment. Captain Victory was created by the king himself, Jack Kirby, for that reason alone I’ll be giving this a peek! Add to that this reincarnation is written by one of my favorites, Joe Casey and drawn by another, Nathan Fox, pretty much guaranteed not only a purchase but a place on top of my to-read pile.

Usagi Yojimbo Senso #1: Anything related to one of my all time favorite character, Usagi, always makes my pull list. This series also marks the 30th anniversary of this beloved ronin. I’m a huge fan of writer and illustrator Stan Sakai’s style and honestly his books have never disappointed me. I can’t wait for this one.

Comments

Massive Week.  Here are some highlights.

Thanos - The Infinity Revelation OGN - Thanos is my favorite Marvel Cosmic character.  His creator, Jim Starlin, returns to the Mad Titan with Marvel's latest in its series of original graphic novels.  I haven't read much about the story, so I'm unsure where in Thanos' timeline this story takes place.  I'd assume it isn't in the present as he's currently frozen in a block of amber or something in New Avengers.   

Nailbiter #4 - Joshua Williamson and Mike Hendersen are killing it.  This series is like reading a slasher flick.  But, in a really, really good way.  They nail the atmosphere and bring an interesting story to us.

The Woods #4 - I love me some sci-fi.  James Tynion IV's tale of a large group of high school kids and teachers mysteriously transported to an alien world hits all the right notes.  There could be stereotypes a-plenty here with high school cliques, but the characters are surprising enough that I'm invested in this series.
F.D. White's picture

It's a big, big week for me as well. So I'll try and do the impossible:

Action Comics #34, Action Comics Annual #3, Superman/Wonder Woman Annual #1 - Anything SuperDoom related I'm in for. I've been enjoying this crossover series so much. Three stories in one week too will be great!

Rat Queens #8 - This book is consistently at the top of my read pile when I get home. Always hilarious and just the right amount of heartfelt. Seriously, more people should read this book and stop being Garys.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #14 - Another book that somehow manages to do the near impossible. Taking a bunch of D-list villains and making them relatable and fun is not an easy task, but Spencer and Lieber did it. I can honestly say Shocker is one of my favorite characters now.

Superior Spider-Man #32 - He's back! I know it's only for two issues, but more SpOck is always a good thing.

Also, Matt, I'm excited for Nailbiter as well. That book is killing it!

spicytoilet's picture

IMPERIAL #1

Marry the girl or dump her and become the worlds first super powered hero.  Crazy decision and I cannot wait to absorb this!

Sixth Gun Days Of The Dead #1 (of

5)

2 guys from two different factions will one day control the 6th gun.  We’ve got gods, spies, magic and undead.  I have high expectations for this one.  

ROCKET RACCOON #2

All of Rocket’s X girl friends are pretty much going to guarantee a great second book.  Rocket’s in over his head and I’m hoping we get to see Groot!

GENIUS #1 (OF 5) (MR)

An interesting weekly released book.  Weekly’s are my new fave.  BATMAN ETERNAL proved how in-depth a story can be thanks to weekly releases.  So as you can imagine, TOP COW’s latest has me freaking pumped!  A young girl named Destiny is about to earn her genius title.  I expect amazing dialogue, a crazy plot and a wicked new book that will be earning that TOP COW/IMAGE label.

Tori B.'s picture
Alex + Ada #8 -- this is literally my favourite series at the moment, hitting all the best humour and emotional highs and lows, and I can never wait to see where there journey takes them next. It's so so easy to fall in love with all the characters (android or human) and it's always the first thing I read on a week that it's out.

Legendary Star-Lord #2 -- because I'm still on a GOTG high, post movie, and the first issue was great, funny, and writes the Peter Quill I know and love well, I'm very invested in where this series goes. (also i'm hoping to get more Kitty Pryde out of this)

Rachel Rising #27 -- another issue that I constantly look forward to, if A + A wasn't coming out, this would be my first read of the week. Again with charming characters, but it has element of horror suspense to it, and it's hard to find a thrilling horror comic sometimes, just given the comic medium itself, so I can't wait to see where Terry Moore takes the story next.
Forrest.H's picture

Spread #2:  I think something that is seriously lacking in the comic world is The Thing. No, not Ben Grimm. I'm talking John Carpenter's The Thing, that thing, the one thing, the thingiest thing. Spread has the potential to be that comic. Set in some weird always snowy presuambly post apocalyptic world where mad max like characters are hunted by an ever present and terrifying giant red hulking mass of..."spread" or thinginess and one baby literally named "Hope" and her Protecter, "No" might have a way to stop the spread. I have high hopes that this book will itch that "we can't win" scratch that I have. The first issue was promising, issue two might make or break it. Let's find out. 

Rocket Raccoon #2:  Rocket's iterations have been hit or miss for me. Sometimes he's too rough, sometimes he's too funny, sometimes I could care less about him. That being said, Scottie Young's Rocket Raccoon might be the book that Rocket needs and in the wake of the $94 million dollar success that GOTG was, Rocket needs a good book. Issue 1 was a good mix between funny and seriously cool and the all-ex's-against-the-raccoon premise is refreshing. Don't let me down Scottie, show me a good issue 2. 

Remender's Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection: This isn't a new release but god, I am so happy this is getting its fair share from Marvel. This is the kind of book that deserves a good, solid "complete collection" release. This is the book that makes me okay with how saturated marvel is with Deadpool now. Remender took these characters and made them his own while still keeping them the people we know and love. The art is nothing to ignore either if you're a fan of the sketchy, pencilied-in and rough look that it has like I am. Go buy this book if you haven't read it. Go buy this book if you have. Go buy a second copy. I probably will too. 

THANOS!

RobertJCross's picture
Popping my comment cherry with this one.

Detective Comics # 34 (DC): Who doesn't like a good Batman comic? The guy can't catch a break. Apparently there's a drug called Icarus terrorizing the streets of Gotham. The only one who can stop this drug from completely ruining the gloomy city is it's most famous costumed vigalante.

Legendary Star Lord #2 (MARVEL): What can I say? I'm relatively new to the GotG craze, but from most of what I've read and seen so far, I'm in love. The movie came out with a vengence and now everyone I talk to says "I AM GROOT" without it seeming cringey. Beyond that, Peter Quill rules and this comic will no doubt rule as well.

Terminal Hero #1 (DYNAMITE): I'm not a HUGE fan of Dynamite Comics, most of the artwork is subpar but the stories are above and beyond. There are always a few hidden gems here and there, this seems like it might be one. A guy has an inoperable brain tumor and undergoes an experimental treatment that turns him into a superhero. Sounds like it might tug at some heartstrings eventually.