Weekly Spinner Picks For 03/18/2015

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Chrononauts #1: Two of my favorite creators are on this Image release, writer Mark Millar and artist Sean Gordon Murphy. The title is being described as a bromance for the ages! It centres around two buddies who like to have fun and just happen to be scientific geniuses! Their research leads them on a time travelling adventure which is being televised for the world to see.

Frankenstein Underground #1: The master of horror comics, Mike Mignola, is tackling the iconic Frankenstein character. This Dark Horse publication is drawn by Ben Stenbeck. The issue has Frank alone and wandering the underground where he discovers strange creatures and even stranger secrets to the Universe. I have absolutely no doubt that it will be amazing!

Strange Sports Stories #1: This new Vertigo anthology has a lot of great talent attached to it including Brian Azzarello, Paul Pope, and Gilbert Hernandez. The four issue series will feature strange, scary, sexy, and sensational sports stories. Sounds very different from what I’ve been reading so I’m pretty excited to check it out.

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
Hi guys, here's the book I'm dying to get my hands on. Frankenstein Underground #1 I love a good Frankie book. He's one of my favorite old school horror icons. In part because he can be depicted wanting humanity or wanting to destroy. Plus it's done by Mike Mignola. Nuff said? Monster & Madman set the bar super high. I hope this is the one that will top it.
Batgirl #40 - This is the conclusion of the first arc.  I've given this book a lot of leeway without making any decisions or statements on my feelings.  I love the design of this book, but the story started out very weak.  I'm hoping this ties everything together and makes Barbara a character I respect again.

Loki:  Agent of Asgard #12 -  King Loki tells all.  Ewing is playing the long game here, finally getting back around to one of the big reveals from early on in his run.  I enjoy what he's done with Loki, and with his sins regarding his reincarnated self out in the open the stage is set for what I hope will be a powerful conclusion.

Silk #2 - All the charm lacking from Spider-Gwen's debut can be found within the pages of Silk.  She's the best thing to come out of Original Sin and I'm enjoying her solo title.  This is the most compeling title to spin out of Spider-Verse, narrowly edging out Spider-Woman.