Weekly Spinner Picks For 02/19/2014

stephengervais's picture

Welcome to the latest installment of my Weekly Spinner Picks. Here I pick the comics I most looking forward this week. Now I know we can’t all have the same taste so feel free to tell me what you think of my picks and what you are looking forward to in the Comments section below.

White Suits #1: This series debuted in pages of Dark Horse Presents and is a good reminder that I really have to add DHP to my pull list! It keeps producing great stories. Case in point White Suits. This really sounds and looks like a series I’m going to love. It’s described as a violent crime noir story written by Frank Barbiere and illustrated by Toby Cypress. It’s the tale of a group of deadly killers who have destroyed the Russian underworld and then disappeared. They have now resurfaced in NYC and are leaving a trail of dead mobsters in their wake. Not only does this sound like a solid story but the art looks amazing. Check out the preview pages here, http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-061?page=1.

Animal Man #28: This is the second last issue to be written by Jeff Lemire and it’s going to be action packed! The story arc, Evolve or Die, concludes with Buddy having to muster up enough power to save his daughter from Brother Blood. Will he lose another child or save the day? Whatever the result it’s sure to be another page turner. Rafael Alburquerque will be handling the art duties this issue while Lemire will be doing both the writing and artwork on the next issue.

Daredevil #36: Well this is it. The final issue in my favorite Marvel run! This issue is as always written by Mark Waid and drawn by the usual artist Chris Samnee. This series has been one heck of a ride and I’m truly sad it’s over. I know it’s being rebooted with the same creative team but I still feel like I’m losing my favorite monthly title for whatever reason. This issue will wrap up ol’ horn head’s conflict with Sons of the Serpent and I assume explain his already advertised move to San Fran.

Unity #4: If you are an action fan junkie you need to read this series! Written by Matt Kindt and illustrated by Doug Braithwaite this title has delivered not only non-stop action but a great cast of characters delivering the action. Seriously this is one hell of a read. This issue is the final issue in the opening story arc so if you haven’t been reading just hold off for the upcoming trade and read it from the start. It’s published by Valiant and all their volume one trades have been at a bargain of $9.99. This conclusion is being hailed a battle royal between X-O Manowar, Tony Harada, and the most dangerous battalion ever assembled. It promises to change the Valiant Universe forever. I can’t wait!

Hope everyone has a Happy Comic Book day this week!

Comments