Weekly Spinner Picks for 01/28/2015

stephengervais's picture
After a week hiatus Spinner Picks is back folks!! Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Without further delay here are my most anticipated releases for this upcoming week.

Batman #38: Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s return of Joker tale continues with End Game part 4. So far this is an amazing story. What a great run these guys are having. It almost seems rare these days to have the same creative team not only on the same book for such a good sized run but also to knock out high quality stories each and every arc.

Effigy #1: This is a new series from the Vertigo imprint written by Tim Seeley and drawn by Marley Zarcone. The debut issue has a child star returning to her hometown after a sex tape scandal destroyed her career. Upon returning to the small town she discovers a murder scene resembling an episode of her old TV show.

Multiversity Guidebook #1: Writer Grant Morrison is joined by slew of artists for this 6th chapter of Multiversity. This 80 page oversized issue is being tagged as the guidebook to the greatest adventure in DC history. It’s definitely been a fun ride and this latest offering should be no different.

Dying and the Dead #1: Image took a good chunk of my comic budget in 2014 and I get the feeling that trend will continue in 2015. The quality titles they keep putting out pretty much guarantees that I’ll at least pick up all their #1 issues. More often than not I’ll stick around for a minimum of one story arc. They hardly disappoint! This issue is written by one of the best right now Jonathan Hickman and drawn by one of my favorites Ryan Bodenheim. The series is described as high adventure meets end-of-life care. A murder at a wedding reveals a 50 year old secret. Sounds good and guaranteed it’ll look great! To top it all off the opening issue is only $4.50 for 60 full pages!

Deadpool #41: I’m not a regular Deadpool reader but I do pick it up on occasion when it piques my interest. This issue has our favorite mercenary doing a job in the Middle East. It’s written by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn with the art duties handled by Salva Espin. It also features a fantastic cover by Mark Brooks.

Comments

RobertJCross's picture
We're BACK!!! Ahhhhh yeah! New comics coming!

Sleepy Hollow #4: The last issue of this limited run by Boom of the popular TV series from FOX about Ichabod Crane showing up in modern day Sleepy Hollow to take on the Headless Horseman and others. It's a good comic and I hope they make more, maybe even some that aren't connected to the series. There is a lot of potential here.

The Dead and the Dying #1: Hickman. I think that's all I need to say. He's another one of those writers like Morrison and Brubaker that have staked their place alongside guys like Moore and Miller to become one of the writing greats in comics. I don't even care what this comic is about, it's probably going to be good regardless.

That's it from me! Enjoy your weekend.
louis whiteford's picture
Bitch Planet #2-  The first issue of Bitch Planet was easily the strongest peice of writing I've seen from Kelly Sue DeConnick in years. Hopefully #2 continues the trend. With Pretty Deadly returning in a few months, it'll hopefully be a big year for miss Kelly Sue.

Saint Cole - Alt-comix machine Noah Van Sciver's newest book comes out this month, and it sounds really depressing. Saint Cole is the story of an alcoholic, broke, married father of one who struggles in every apsect of his life. Doesn't that sound exciting? Comics aint just for kids anymore! 

Seriously though, Van Sciver is a helluva talent and everybody should give his work a peek.

Eye of Newt - This fantasy series from Brian Hague flew under the radar last year, but now it's being collected as a book. Fantasy art fans who missed this the first time time around take notice. Hague draws with a knowledge and style unmatched by any of these young whippersnappers with their dungeons and dragons and warcraft anf whatnot. High fantasy, in the old school tradition.

Vannary Sok's picture
Vertigo Quarterly: Black #1 The final issue in the CMYK quarterly featuring comic's top writers and artists paying homage to the colour BLACK (duh!) While there is a great helm of creative individuals that are involved with the anthology, I'm most excited for Francesco Francavilla - his artwork gives me the chills.

Powerpuff Girls Super Smash-up #1 I have yet to read all of Super Secret Crisis War, the Cartoon Network crossover event, but IDW Publishing is following that success by teaming up the iconic Powerpuff Girls with other CN show favourites like Courage the Cowardly Dog. I decided to take a dip into these comic books and hope to experience the same unique odd humour that's within the shows, which have a special place in my heart. From reading preview pages and an interview with writer and artist Derek Charm, it promises to be a funny series.

Bitch Planet #2 There's a lot of hype and support behind Bitch Planet. First issue burned with commentary on the views of women today and Kelly Sue DeConnick assures readers that there will be more so here's hoping issue two follows suit. All of this makes Bitch Planet feel like it could be a revolutionary series. One that I'm fully on board with.
Kalem Lalonde's picture
Hey everyone, my picks are up a little late but I've been a little busy and still am so I'll be brief!

The Dying and the Dead #1: Guys, I've already read this issue and written my review for it. Which is the longest comic review I've ever written. So yeah, I liked it. It liked it a lot. This is really a special comic everyone and I'm so happy it exists, go buy it and spread the news!

New Avengers #29: What can I say? I just love Hickman. New Avengers was the first comic of his I ever read and I've been in love with the series ever since. And with all the Secret Wars announcements going on, I've never been so exited to read this book. Can't wait!

Forrest.H's picture
Bitch Planet #2: I reviewed issue #1 and I loved it. I'll be reviewing issue #2 and loving it, too, I'm sure.

Rasputin #4: I like this comic a lot. The writing is sparse and kind of cryptic but I love the fictionalized take on a very real and very well-known figure. Rasputin as a sympathetic character is a compelling and, honest guy whose death I'm hoping doesn't come too soon. 
spicytoilet's picture
Vertigo Quarterly Black  It finally comes to a close, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow were great.  I have very high expectations for Black.

Wolverines #4  This series has been amazing so far and I think its going to launch Wolverines eventual return.  Definately cant miss it!