Weekly Spinner Picks for 01/08/2014

stephengervais's picture

Happy New Year and welcome to my first Spinner Picks of 2014! First off I just want to wish everyone a healthy and happy year. I’m looking forward to another great year discussing comics with all of you.

Now let’s get down to the business at hand. Its obvious Marvel doesn’t realise how much money we all spent over the holidays because they decided to release a slew of #1’s this week! If you’re a  #1 issue junkie this is going to be an expensive week for you! I admittedly used to be but have since tamed my addiction. Even still I get the feeling this second wave of All-New Marvel Now releases will make my poor wallet cry.

Here are my most anticipated releases this week. Please feel free to leave your picks in the comment section below.

Afterlife with Archie #3: The definite surprise hit of last year continues this week and I can’t wait to get my hands on it! The zombie apocalypse plaguing Riverdale is in full swing with the surviving characters holed up in Lodge Mansion. Just to make things really interesting our favorite redhead, Archie Andrews, sneaks out to try and find his parents. This should be another great chapter for this ongoing series written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and drawn beautifully by Francesco Francavilla. The previews have promised us more “zombie mayhem and a rising body-count”!

Detective Comics #27: This has to be DC’s biggest release of the week. This oversized, $7.99 issue pays homage to Batman’s first appearance in the original Detective Comics. Now I’m not usually a fan of these over-priced anniversary issues but this one has such a great cast of creators I have hope it’ll deliver some quality tales. The list includes John Layman, Scott Snyder, Bryan Hitch, Paul Dini, and it goes on and on. The other big selling point for me is I really want the Frank Miller variant cover. This is one of the rare times that if I can’t find the variant I will be leaving my shop sad on Wednesday. I’ll be at the shop at opening hoping to get my paws on one.

Black Widow #1: This is one of the All-New Marvel Now titles which I have high hopes for. It’s written by one of my favorites, Nathan Edmondson and drawn by Phil Noto. From what I’ve read about the series it seems to be in the same vain as the Hawkeye series but in a much darker tone. Basically we’ll see what Natasha does when she’s not out saving the world with the Avengers.  This first arc has our favorite Soviet assassin making amends with the families she hurt during her criminal days.

Comments