Spinner Picks for 12/03/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Men of Wrath #3: Jason Aaron’s bloody southern tale continues this week. This chapter has Ira Wrath on the verge of ending his bloodline and its troubled history.

Secret Six #1: I haven’t read any Secret Six before but have heard it praised time and time again. I figure this is a good time to check it out. The critically claimed run was written by Gail Simone who returns once again to take the helm. She is accompanied by the art of Ken Lashley. I’ll read an arc to see how I like it.

Hellboy and the BPRD #1: By far and away this is the book I’m most anticipating this week! We just don’t get enough of Big Red these days so I cherish every appearance he makes! This mini-series is written by the team of Mike Mignola and John Arcudi with art provided by Alex Maleev. The series follows a young Hellboy accompanied by the BPRD team on their first adventure together. From the preview pages I’ve seen this really looks like one not to miss. The creative team has said not only will seasoned fans love it but it’s also an opportunity for those who have never read any of this universe to jump on board.

Comments

RobertJCross's picture
OH YEAH!!!

Escape From New York #1: I love John Carpenter more than the average person and Escape From New York is one of the best movies he ever made. Snake Plisken is a God in my eyes and my other fascination with Metal Gear Solid mixes with that since a lot of it is interconnected and influenced by EFNY. UGGGGGH! Love it, can't wait!

Hellboy & The BPRD #1: A great comic series that has been going strong for a while now. Another favorite of mine and Hellboy is a badass.

Purty cool week!!

spicytoilet's picture
So many great ones but these are the ones I really want in my collection!

Hellboy & The B.P.R.D #1 What really drew me to this title and why I want it is because this mini series will cover a younger Hellboy on his first mission. If you're a Hellboy fan, it’s a no brainer.

Secret Six #1 I have no idea what the secret is, but six strangers are brought together for an unknown reason. I gotta know what the secret is!

Wolf Moon #1 A hunter who becomes more monstrous with each step closer to his intended target. Vertigo books never disappoint and I’m pretty sure this one’s gonna be a classic!

Thanos vs Hulk #1 Somehow Pip manages to kidnap the Hulk. Then Marvel tosses a Thanos and a vs in the mix and there you have it. I have always wondered what the outcome would be when these two threw down. Can’t wait for it!
louis whiteford's picture
Hellboy and the BPRD #1 - What more can I add about Hellboy? Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

Tooth and Claw #2 - The best new Image comic since Southern Bastards and the best Kurt Busiek comic since I don't know when continues on this month, and should be just as much fun as the first part. Antropomorphic action ahoy!

Low #5 - Rick Remender's latest series is wrapping up it's first arc, and fans of underwater action, pirates, dystopias and environmentalism should all take note. This genre hodgepodge crams so many tropes into it's story, it's managed to become it's own distinct universe.
Forrest.H's picture
Small week but a good week.

Hellboy & BPRD: 
Duh? Duh.

Ghost Fleet #2: This number one took me by total surprise. High octane, high stakes x-files tinged trucking. Awesome.

Low #5: Remender derserves all the praise he gets and I have no reason to see why Low won't turn into another example of that.