Spinner Picks for 11/12/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

All-New Captain America #1: This is it folks!! The Sam Wilson Captain America era officially begins! Cap’s rogue gallery, united by Hydra, gather to take down the untested Captain America and Nomad. The issue is written by CTG favorite Rick Remender with Stuart Immonen handling the art duties.

Batman #36: I’m once again collecting Batman as a monthly title in lieu of trade waiting and absolutely loved the last issue. This is the second part to the story arc Endgame written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo. The DC media teaser is amazing, “it’s a story arc so steeped in mystery, all we can tell you is the title!”.

MPH #4: Oh boy it’s been a while since the last issue of this Millarworld series! Frequent readers of Spinner Picks know my strategy for all Mark Millar titles but for those of new to the site let me tell you how I handle his ever changing shipping schedule. I buy and read the first issue and if I enjoy it I proceed to buy the rest of the series as it’s being released but I don’t read them until it wraps up! If I don’t do it this way I just can’t remember everything that happens issue to issue.

Drifter #1: With all the successful Image titles coming out the past couple of years I always give their debut issues a read. This is a sci-fi adventure where mankind has spread across the universe and destroyed every planet it’s inhabited. It’s being described as a Dune-like story. It’s written by Ivan Brandon and beautifully drawn by Nic Klein. Seriously check out the preview pages, the art looks amazing!

Wytches #2: My boys Scott Snyder and Jock delivered a super first issue. I’m on board for this entire run!

Kitchen #1: The mob men are in prison so it’s up to the wives to run the rackets! This Vertigo series is set in 1970’s NYC! Written by Ollie Masters and drawn by Ming Doyle. All aboard!! Choo Choo!!

Comments

Tori B.'s picture
Django Zorro #1 : uhm, self explanatory? Haha, what could go wrong with these two sharing a story. It's also written by Tarantino himself. I can't wait.

Alex + Ada #10 : because this is my favourite series that's currently being released and I will never get over it. The characters are very real, their struggles are real, plus you have androids who also have human struggles, and complexity and dynamics of each of the characters are so poignant, it's just SO GOOD.

Batgirl #36 : i'm really loving what the new team is doing with Babs and I just want more.

Thor #2 : let's see more of this new Thor, I'm very invested in her character that I don't know enough about yet please and thank you.
RobertJCross's picture
Good week for comics!

Ex-Con #3: Such a great comic and it can only get better. I'm super excited to see what happens next issue!

The Fade Out #3: Brubaker! Brubaker! Brubaker! The guy is a comic book king and he flexes his royal linguistics all over this comic. Can't wait!

The Walking Dead #134: My favorite and even though the TV show can't live up to Kirkman's original baby, I'm still surprised with each issue.
Kalem Lalonde's picture
Superior Iron Man #1
I don’t know much about this comic, but I just have a good feeling about it. I’ve heard a lot of praise for Tom Taylor’s writing and the Superior costume looks great! It’s also always a plus when Daredevil makes a guest appearance in a comic, so here’s hoping we finally get a great Iron Man comic.

All-New Captain America #1
Sam Wilson makes his debut as Captain America (sort of). I thought Remender’s last volume of Captain America was solid in spite of its flaws. It was certainly my least favorite Remender title and I’m hoping the relaunch can reinvigorate the title. And with Stuart Immonen on board, you can be sure this will be a beautiful issue.

Wytches #2
Wytches #1 was wonderful and frightening. The night I read the issue, I was walking down my street in the country and I was trying to keep my distance from the trees. This comic really hit me with the wytches aspect, but there was more to it than just that. The “death scene” wasextremely powerful with some truly chilling dialogue. This is an instant classic for me and I just can’t wait to get my hands on issue #2.

Thor #2
 While Thor #1 was a very strong debut, our new lead wasn’t given an awful lot of pages. I’m positive we’ll get to see more of her now, and I’m excited to get to know our new Thor!
louis whiteford's picture
The Fade Out #3 - Marvel Comics could've filed for bancrupty this week and it wouldn't matter because a new issue of The Fade Out is here.Brubaker and Phillips have had a spectauclar run so far, and it hope it lasts for a long, long time.

MPH #4 - I must've missed #3 somewhere, but now I've got two issues to catch up on in Mark Millar and Duncan Fegrado's superspeed saga. Full speed ahead!