Spinner Picks for 10/29/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Deathlok #1: I must admit I’ve never read Deathlok in the past but his recent role on the TV show Agents of SHIELD has gotten me excited for this book. It also has the added bonus of being written by one of my faves, Nathan Edmondson. I’ll be giving this series the first arc before deciding whether or not to permanently add it to my pull list.

Black Science #10: My favorite Rick Remender title returns this week with its latest installment. This issue is most definitely not a great jumping on point but if you haven’t already I do recommend you pick up the first trade and give this series a shot.

Bunker #7: This a great series by Oni press written by Joshua Hale Fialkov and drawn by Joe Infurnari. I am a little behind in this series so I will have to do some catch up reading before Wednesday!

Southern Bastards #5: Jason Aaron and Jason Latour’s series kicks off its second story arc this week. This issue gives us some history on Craw County and its most infamous resident, Coach Boss! Can’t wait!!

Wayward #3:  More students with strange abilities continue to emerge in this supernatural adventure from Image Comics. It’s written by Jim Zub and drawn by Steve Cummings.

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
Lots of good ones this week!

Baltimore Wolf & the Apostle #1 I’m not sure what this book is about, not 100% at least. I do know that a man turns into a wolf and that’s enough to interest me in this two part series. This time of year always brings out the best indie comics for some reason!

Vertigo Quarterly Yellow I love these curated collected groups of short stories. Cyan and Magenta definitely delivered and I’m willing to bet this one is going to be outstanding.

Rasputin #1 The same talent that brought Proof presents a story of a bearded man who pretty much gets his ass whooped and then becomes heroic. The violence in this story has been described as “thundering with visceral rage.” So this makes me curious, how did Alex Grecian turn a historical villain into a good guy? Only one way to find out right?

Dethlok #1 I honestly haven't seen this guy on print since I was about 16. Kudos to Marvel for including him in Agents of SHIELD and now into his own series. I’m hoping for some origin action.
Forrest.H's picture

Pretty big week for me, maybe the biggest I've had while I've been at CTG, actually!

Aliens Fire and Stone 2: I feel kind of obligated to read all of the books of Fire and Stone because, ultimately, that's the point. Predator and Prometheus have been good so I have no reason to believe this wont be.

Cutter 4:  The finale of Top Cow's revenge from the grave story. I'm excited to see where it goes after last week's cliffhanger of sorts even if it was really predictable.

Baltimore: Wolf and Apostle: I love, love, love everything Mignola. So, yeah.

Low 4: Last issue gave me real, down to my stomach, feelings. If this issue can top that, I'll never doubt having it on my pull-list again.

Saga 24: A staple, a modern day classic. Whatever you want to call it, Saga is good, really good. That being said, issue 23 was my least favorite so far and I want to see if 24 picks up where 23 lacked or if this is some kind of funk for these great, great creators.

Rasputin 1: Proof was really good, and this is by the same guys. So, naturally, it's a pick up for me. Especially so, because I think Rasputin is a great character both historically and fictionally. 

Tori B.'s picture
Wonder Woman #35 -- The finale of the outstanding series from Azsarello and Chiang. I've loved this series with my amazonian heart and will embrace everything that the team has brought and I'm sure will pull no stops for their wrap up.

LOW #4 -- This is my favourite Remender title at the moment. I don't know why I get so emotionally attached to it, but I can't deny that every issue makes me feel something that I wasn't expecting.

Wolverine and the X-Men #11 -- It's another Death of Wolverine tie-in but issue #10 left me crying way more than I expected, I can only expect this issue to do the same, especially as they talk to Ororo, who recently was most closely linked to the fallen X-Man. This is really just a sentimental issue for me to look forward to.