Spinner Picks For 07/22/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Louie’s Picks
I hardly noticed when IDW started publishing new Disney comics a few months ago, but this week's cover of Uncle Scrooge #4 features an illustration of Scrooge, in his giant vault, dunking a giant diamond, through a basketball hoop with a net made of bills, and that is exactly awesome enough to get my attention. What can I say? I love greedy old misers! Here's hoping IDW works their crossover magic to get an Uncle Scrooge meets J Jonah Jameson series in the future!

Unfortunately, it won't be soon, because Marvel's kinda in the middle of Secret Wars right now, the best crossover they've done since... Well, maybe ever! The overwhelming supply of tie-ins have varied in quality, but one of the highlights is no doubt E is For Extinction, a satiric continuation of Grant Morrison's New X-Men run from 15 years ago. Fans who were around for the original were delighted by the first issue, and this second entry should keep up the quality and the crazy.

At Dark Horse, another chapter in the Hellboy-verse draws to a close with Frankenstein Underground #5. Admittedly, I've been waiting for the book on this one (I only just moved to a comic friendly city) but Hellboy's been so good for so long, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend it.  

Robbie J’s Picks

Fly Outbreak #4: This comic is phenomenal and it only looks to be getting better with every new issue. The art is the main draw to this and menton3 shows no signs of waning from his lovely art style. This comic packs a lot of nostalgia for fans of the Cronenberg timeline.

Fight Club 2 #3: I'm enjoying it even though I'm a literary purist and Fight Club was one of those books that got me into reading books in the first place. Tyler is back and he's making the lives of everyone around a lot more cynical and grandiose...in true Durden fashion.

Forrest’s Picks:

Mayday #4: Another week, another Curt Pires book. I've already read this one but it's awesome and deserves a spot on the list here both to give a shoutout to Pires, Peterson and Diotto and, to tell Black Mask that I want more like this. 

Wolf #1: I've had a complicated relationship with Ales Kot's writing. I absolutely loved Change but other things like Material and The Surface have left a bad taste in my mouth. I can't decide if I think his work is wonderfully deep and borderline poetic or if it's just a frustrating mass of artificiality reaching for social commentary but coming up short. With that being said, I'll read each and every single book he comes out with because of that enigmatic energy. This one, Wolf, is like a psychological thriller ala True Detective and that's something I can't turn away from at least trying. 

King’s Picks

Wolf #1: Ales Kot has been on fire lately, and the stakes seem too freaking unreal in this latest book. I'm all in.

Justice League Gods and Monsters Batman #1: Vampire Batman written by Bruce Timm? Hell yeah.

All-New Hawkeye #4: I love Jeff Lemire, and seeing him switch over from DC to Marvel is going to be fun to watch -- Hawkeye's been a fun read already, and I'm sure it can only get better before the relaunch...

Stephen’s Picks

Wolf #1: I’m very excited about this latest #1 from Image Comics. It’s written by one of my current favorites Ales Kot and drawn by Matt Taylor. The story is set in LA and mixes paranormal and mythical elements into a crime noir saga. This first issue is an oversized event featuring 58 pages of story with no ads!

Frankenstein Underground #5: I’m sad to see this Dark Horse mini-series wrapping up but I’m anxious to read the conclusion! What can I say I’ve got conflicted emotions!! This series seems to have flown under the radar for quite a few people. It’s been great folks! Pick up the collected edition when it gets released. The series was written by the horror master Mike Mignola and drawn by Ben Stenbeck.

F.D.’s Picks

Archie Vs Predator #4: There's no way that this mini-series should work, but it does. It's equal parts funny and gory. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but those who grew up on these two series will get a kick out of it. 

Prez #2: The first issue was endearing and entertaining, filled with great satire. Plus, it's a fresh concept that is grounded with a lead that is relatable. I really hope this series continues to impress.

Sinestro #13: This series is becoming a sprawling sci-fi/fantasy epic. I'm loving the story Cullen Bunn is telling and I hope he's on this book for a while.

Tori’s Picks

Wolf #1: Ales Kot has quickly been climbing up my list of favourite writers and he's bringing along other favourite names with him, Matt Taylor and Lee Loughridge. This first issue is a giant sized fantasy-horror-thriller-crime and I can't imagine anything cooler than that. Also Ales Kot has been tweeting a lot about some of the subject matter they're going to tackle.. it's exciting because I think it's going to challenge readers in a good way. 

Magneto #20: It's still one of my favourite Marvel on-goings and Magneto is such an interesting character, and Bunn has yet to do wrong by his story. 

Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde #1: Uhh how cute are they, duh. 

Kalem’s Picks

Wolf #1: Yes, everyone is excited for this book but that’s because Ales Kot is an extremely intriguing writer. I met him in October and he was a curious guy, he’s very unique and that shows in his diverse and great comics. He seems to be very proud of Wolf and I’m looking forward to seeing what he brings.

All-New Hawkeye #4: Yes, Fractions and Aja’s Hawkeye ended last week in incredible fashion but that doesn’t mean I’m not excited for Jeff Lemire’s new issue of Hawkeye. Lemire has been doing a great job of making this title his own while giving us what we LOVED about Matt Fraction’s run. Every issue is something I look forward to. 

Comments