Spinner Picks For 07/01/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

I’d like to congratulate the founder of Comics: The Gathering, Stephen on bringing a baby into the world this past Tuesday. We all hope the best for him and his family! In other news, early reaction for Ant-Man have been coming in and they are expectedly positive. I can’t wait to see the film! It’s such a good time to be a comic fan.

We Stand On Guard #1: Brian K. Vaughan. That really should be the only reason people pick up this comic. Vaughan truly is one of the best comic writers of our time and any series he writes is a must buy in my book. Add on the fact that this is a Canadian war story makes it all the more interesting to me. Vaughan always has extremely intelligent ideas and I’m excited to see what he brings to the table with his new book.

Secret Wars #4: How could I not put this comic on this list? Secret Wars has been one of the best Marvel comics I’ve read since I got into monthly comics. It breaks the trend of lacklustre events with its incredible scope and riveting character work. I usually tend to enjoy Jonathan Hickman’s work more than most but I’m so glad to see the near unanimous acclaim for this fantastic event. Can’t wait for issue #4!

Midnighter #2: Midnighter #1 was not the comic I expected and that’s what made me appreciate it so much. Half of it was just a man going on a date with another man and it was amazing. The story seemed to kick into gear at the end of issue #1 and I’m looking forward to see what Steve Orlando has in store for us.

Outcast #10: I don’t think I’ve ever talked about Outcast online and that’s a shame because I really, really, really enjoy the book. There’s something so memorable about this comic that it can go months without being published and I still vividly remember the last issue. Kirkman’s story is slow-moving but his characters are so fleshed out and layered that I could watch them eat breakfast and be entertained. I really think this is a special book and I’m always looking forward to its release. I also heard that the show will be at comic con so look out for that too! 

Comments