Spinner Picks For 06/24/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

My first week of summer is officially here! It’s a smaller week for me in terms of comics but that’ll just give me more time to catch up on my gaming. I’m finally getting a PS4 tomorrow just in time for Batman: Arkham Knight and I CANNOT wait to play the game. After seeing everything at E3 I knew I had to get a PS4 as soon as possible. Fallout 4, Battlefront, Metal Gear Solid V and even Black Ops 3. This is looking like one hell of a fall.

Aquaman #41: Geoff Johns’ Aquaman run is one of my favourite runs of the New 52. He made the character interesting and cool and thankfully his departure was handled well as Jeff Parker kept the title’s streak alive. Cullen Bunn is a writer that is hit or miss for me. He can be fantastic and he can be decent. I’m truly hoping that he is in top-form with his Aquaman run because this is one of my favourite characters in the DCU. I’m thinking that this is going to be a good book and I’m looking forward to checking it out.

Superman #41: I was so sad to see Geoff Johns leave this title and given Superman #40 I’m a little worried for this book. But nevertheless, I LOVE Superman and I’m always optimistic when a new writer is going to take a crack at him. The truth storyline started off really well in Action Comics and I’m hoping Gene Luen Yang can maintain the quality here.

Green Lantern: Lost Army #1: Another Cullen Bunn comic for this list! The Green Lantern books were strong in the New 52 but I’m glad DC are toning it down. 3 books truly is enough and given that there are only 2 writers I think the stories will be a lot more cohesive. The premise of this book has me very intrigued and I’m excited to see the Corps under Cullen Bunn’s pen.

Daredevil #16: Mark Waid has been killing it with his final arc of Daredevil. It started off a little goofy but has wonderfully transitioned into a thrilling and urgent book that’s keeping on hero on the run. I’m sad that Waid will be leaving with issue #18 but I still look forward to every one of his issues.  

Comments