Spinner Picks For 06/17/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Spinners are back this week and it’s just on time for a bunch of new DC titles! Jurassic World crushed the box office this weekend exceeding all expectations with an opening of $204M. Congrats to the director Colin Trevorrow for making the best Jurassic sequel despite its issues. We’re also looking at a great week for movies if you’re a pixar fan with the release of Inside Out. Awesome week ahead!

Southern Bastards #9: Oh how I’ve missed this title. Despite not being as incredible as the first arc, “Gridion” was a powerful look into the mind of a layered and complex character. Jason Aaron spent an entire arc building the antagonist of his series and that was after displaying how frightening and powerful he was in issue #4. I don’t know where Jason Aaron is taking this series but I have no doubt in my mind that I will adore this week’s issue.

Runaways #1: I must confess, I have never read the original Runaways run. I love Brian K. Vaughan and I’ve heard ample amounts of praise but I’ve never gotten around to it. The fact that there’s a new cast of characters in this relaunch doesn’t bother me at all. Noelle Stevenson is a very talented writer and interviews have led me to be hopeful for this title. The Secret Wars tie-ins have mostly been great and I’m looking forward to seeing if this one will fit into that category.

Dr Fate #1: I never knew much about this character and frankly, I still don’t. But he’s just so damn cool. His designs, his powers and his appearances in the Justice League cartoon have made me very curious to get to know this sorcerer. I’m not very familiar with writer Paul Levitz but I know he’s done some acclaimed work in the past. I’ve been enjoying DC’s new line and I’m very eager to see what they do with this intriguing character.

Bloodshot Reborn #3: I’ve just been getting into the Valiant Universe lately because I’ve wanted to branch out from the big 2 and Image. They have been doing great work since the reboot and Bloodshot Reborn has to be some of their best work. Jeff Lemire has poured life into a character that can easily be one-dimensional and boring. This is an intriguing and great book about a weapon who has been stripped of his powers and almost driven to insanity because of it. 

Comments