Spinner Picks for 06/15/2016

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Here are my hot picks of the week!

Star Wars Han Solo #1: There are lots of big titles coming out this week. From the slew of #1s, Han Solo is definitely the top of my most anticipated list. Not only is Han one of my all-time favorite fictional character but it also boasts a great creative team with Marjorie Liu writing and Mark Brooks on art duty. This issue has Han entered in a legendary galactic race all the while carrying out a top secret mission for Princess Leia. Should be fun to watch him balance out both objectives!

Batman #1: I thought Batman Rebirth handled the transition of Snyder’s run to new writer Tom King in a very satisfactory manner. I’m looking forward to King’s take on the Dark Knight. Art will be handled by the duo of David Finch and Matt Banning. That is my only reservation about the issue. I generally like to have only one artist working on issue. I, however, will reserve judgement until I read the issue.

Lazarus #22: This begins a new story arc for this title. I recently caught up with this Greg Rucka and Michael Lark series and can’t wait to see what happens next. This begins the battle between 15 families for control of the...world!

Jughead #7: This is my favorite series from the ongoing Archie reboot. Each issue consistently has me laughing out loud. The story is written by Chip Zdarsky with Derek Cham handling the pencils. This issue Jughead convinces Archie to join him at the cottage to get away from it all.

Dark Knight Returns the Last Crusade #1: I don’t know a heck of a lot about this 64-page prestige format issue except the creative team. The writing is handled by the team of Frank Miller and Brian Azzarello with art by John Romita Jr. That’s enough to get me on board!

Comments