Spinner Picks for 01/18/2017

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Here are my hot picks of the week!

Monsters Unleashed #1: I’ve always been a fan of monsters in my comics. Usually I get my fix through various Dark Horse books but this week Marvel will be answering the call with a new mini-series written by Cullen Bunn and drawn by Steve McNiven. Monsters invade and threaten to destroy the Marvel Universe. It’s up to all the super heroes to band together and save the earth. It looks like a ton of fun. I’ve been looking forward to it since it was announced last year.

Star Wars Doctor Aphra #3: I’ve really been enjoying this character since she was first introduced in the Vader comics. It’s nice to have an originally Star Wars character being flushed out in comic books. This series is continued to be written by Kieron Gillen with the art by Kev Walker. Issue #3 has the good Doctor continuing her hunt for Ordu Aspectu which leads her to the last place she wants to be...an Imperial encampment.

Few #1: I came across the solicitation for this one a couple of weeks back when I was researching upcoming releases. It grabbed my attention right away. First off it’s written by Sean Lewis who also wrote a favorite comic of mine, Saints. Secondly, the preview pages I saw drawn by Hayden Sherman look killer!! I seriously can’t wait for this book.  It takes place in a dystopian future, where two brothers stumble upon an unlikely site: a woman asleep holding nothing but a gun and a baby wearing a gas mask. It’s got a hefty price tag of $4.99 but it does have a larger page count than a traditional issue and it looks bonkers! I have a gut feeling that this will be my favorite book this week.

WWE #1: Boom Studios latest licensed book kicks off this week with a new wrestling book which takes a look at the action inside and outside of the ring. I was a huge wrestling fan in the late 80s and 90s but haven’t kept up with it in a long time. Nonetheless I am really looking forward to this series. Wrestlers are larger than life characters and I think this will be a fun read. It’s written by Dennis Hopeless with art by Dan Mora.

Comments