Spinner Picks for 01/14/2015

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Shield #2: I enjoyed the first issue of this series so I’ll definitely be sticking around for the first arc. Writer Mark Waid brought the fun and action of the TV show into the comic book spin-off. I am a fan of the show but you really don’t need to follow it to enjoy this series. Waid does a great job introducing the characters and the plot has nothing to do with what’s going on the show. This issue is drawn by one of my Marvel favorites, Humberto Ramos.

Star Wars #1: With already over a million copies pre-sold Star Wars #1 is going to be the best selling single issue in the last 20 years! The series will feature all the major characters from the films and the events take place between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. It’s written by Jason Aaron with the pencils provided by John Cassaday. Should be a good one!

Conan Red Sonja #1: I haven’t followed either of these characters on a regular basis but I’m a big fan of the writing duo of Jim Zub and Gail Simone. With their names attached this Dark Horse release it was an automatic pick-up for me. The series is drawn by Dan Panosian.

Jupiter’s Legacy #5: What?? This is still being released! Just kidding! I knew it wasn’t over but it’s been a long while since the last issue of this Mark Millar and Frank Quitely series. I will however have to go back read issue 4 to refresh my memory.

Michael Jordan Bull on Parade: From the creator of 21: the Roberto Clemente comes a new bio on the greatest basketball player of all-time, Michael Jordan. This Fantagraphics book is written and drawn by Wilfred Santiago. I have a few different release dates for this book but Diamond says it’s this week so I’ll go by that. 

Comments

RobertJCross's picture
Oh HEY! #NCBD represent!

Ex-Con #5: There will be literal tears in my eyes while I read this last issue. It was an amazing story arc and a must read for anyone who's even thinking about writing a witty dialogue filled masterpiece like this one. Hopefully it'll end a good note and not a "dead" one.

The Walking Dead #136: What are they gonna do now that they've got many monsters at the door that aren't just zombies? The undead hordes and the psychotic hordes seem to kill with the same amount of discretion. I'm sure Carl and Maggie will find a way to make it work.

That's all for me this week!
spicytoilet's picture

A bit of a slow week for me,

Star Wars #1  I’m really curious to see how Marvel is going to handle this franchise.  Dark Horse set the bar very high in terms of story and art.

Mortal Kombat X #1  I am a huge fan of the games, broken terrible combo system and all.  With DC behind the production, I hope we get some better fleshed out back stories.

Forrest.H's picture
This week is like the little week that could for me:

Star Wars #1: This comic is going to be a huge, massive, monolithic deal for better or worse. You guys should go read one of the myriad of thinkpieces that are out there about this, Marvel, the movies and more. Just know that'll I'll be tuning in for the fun too.

Copperhead #5: Have I really not convinced any of you to put this on your spinner picks yet? Maybe this weeks review will sway you! 
All right then, my first Spinner Pick for CTG!

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2: The first issue was pretty good. Not too crazy, but a lot of fun nonetheless. What gets me excited for this weeks issue is the appearance of my favorite new hero, Kamala Khan. It'll only be the second time (third if you count the brief appearance in Captain Marvel #17 by Kelly Sue Deconnick) that someone other than G. Willow Wilson has written the new Ms. Marvel, but Mark Waid is amazingly consistent in his writing quality so I have faith she's in good hands.

Guardians 3000 #4: Dan Abnett is quietly creating something incredibly epic with his new series featuring the classic Guardians of the Galaxy from the 90's. The Edge of Tommorow-like plot is engaging with bits involving Star-Lord in his classic outfit kicking all sorts of butt and fancy time-travel lingo. But what excites me for this issue is the new Nova. Abnett was one of the people responsible for making Richard Ryder the fan-favorite he was, so let's see what happens with this new Human Rocket. 

Tori B.'s picture
Nothing too insightful on my picks this week, but don't take that as a lack of enthusiasm, i'm still very much pumped for:

Star Wars #1 : because Star Wars

Fables The Wolf Among Us #1: because I love the game and the fable-verse and will always want more and will always take what I can get

and as always Cyclops because Cyclops.
louis whiteford's picture
Looks like everybody's having a lrelatively slow week. Perhaps no publisher wanted a big release the same week Star Wars came out? 

Things are even slower on my side of the spectrum. I don't think there's any comics coming out this week I want to buy, so I'll instead direct everybody to this amazing comic I found on the web, fo FREE! Luke Whealy was unknown to me, but as of a few minutes ago, [this amazing webcomic](lukewhealy.com/comics/exquisitecorpse) he did came to my attention. Exquisite Corpse is one of those concepts that's so perfect, it had to happen. It's a sci-fi mystery with personal trainers as subjects, and the simple art style is as confident as the story he's telling. Even if there were some hot releases for me this week, this would still be a highlight.
Kalem Lalonde's picture
Slower week for me, but that just means more time for reading Preacher and Watchmen!

Star Wars #1: Star Wars is my favorite film trilogy of all time, and my favorite fictional universe as well. Jason Aaron is writing my current favorite ongoing comic series. How could I not be going crazy over this release?

Avengers #40: I’m excited for this issue but I’m also starting to realize that Hickman’s Avengers is coming to an end. I will sorely miss this book in May. It’s been my most anticipated superhero read of the month since I first started buying comics. There’ll be a big void in my pull list when this is all over. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to see where Hickman takes the Illumanti/Avengers fight next. With the insane twist that finished off the last issue, I can barely imagine what Hickman has planned but I can’t wait to see what it is. 
F.D. White's picture
All-New Captain America #3: I've been REALLY enjoying this series so far. Action-packed and intimate. Good look at Falcon that we haven't had in a long time.

Spider-Verse #2: The first anthology issue was so much fun. Can't wait to see what wacky spider stuff happens next.

And of course, Star Wars #1...